Rockets' Porter Named WHL Eli Wilson Goaltending Goaltender of the Week
Calgary, Alta. - The Western Hockey League announced today that James Porter of the Kelowna Rockets has been named the WHL Eli Wilson Goaltending Goaltender of the Week and league nominee for the Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week for the week ending January 20, 2019.
Playing in two games this week, Porter posted a 1-0-0-0 record, 0.00 goals-against-average, stopped 44 of 44 shots for a 1.000 save percentage, and recorded one shutout, allowing the third-place Rockets to remain within striking distance of the Victoria Royals for second place in the B.C. Division.
On Friday against the Everett Silvertips, Porter had a phenomenal game, stopping eight shots in the first period, 19 in the second, and 13 in the third to earn his first shutout of the 2018-19 WHL Regular Season. Able to hold off the Everett powerplay three times, Porter's 40 saves contributed to the Rockets' 2-0 win over the Silvertips. Porter's performance earned him first star of the game as well as first star of the night in the WHL. The shutout by Porter was the first by a Rockets goaltender in Everett since Kelly Guard accomplished the feat on November 28, 2003.
Porter also saw eight minutes and 40 seconds of action on Wednesday game against the Moose Jaw Warriors, where he stopped all four shots that came his way from the Warriors.
The 5-foot-10, 165-pound Bonners Ferry, Idaho native is playing his second season with the Rockets, posting a 6-9-2-1 record, 3.06 GAA and 0.907 SV% in 21 games. Originally selected in the seventh round, 153rd overall, by the Rockets at the 2015 WHL Bantam Draft, Porter has appeared in 63 WHL regular season games, posting a 28-18-6-2 record, 3.21 GAA, 0.899 SV%, and four shutouts. Last season, Porter was named the WHL Goaltender of the Week for the week ending December 31, 2017, earning Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week honours as well.
The Rockets will play host to their B.C. Division rivals, the Victoria Royals, Friday, January 25 (7:05 p.m. PT) at Prospera Place.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 21, 2019
- Goaltender Dustin Wolf, Defenseman Gianni Fairbrother Listed in NHL Central Scouting's Midterm Rankings - Everett Silvertips
- Top 40 CHL Players Eligible for this Year's NHL Entry Draft on Display Wednesday at Centrium - Red Deer Rebels
- Canes Chatter - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Rockets' Porter Named WHL Eli Wilson Goaltending Goaltender of the Week - Kelowna Rockets
- Leason, Protas Listed in NHL Central Scouting Midterm Rankings - Prince Albert Raiders
- Three Americans Players Listed on NHL Central Scouting Midterm Rankings - Tri-City Americans
- Rockets' Porter Named WHL Eli Wilson Goaltending Goaltender of the Week - WHL
- Warriors' Almeida Named WHL On the Run Player of the Week - WHL
- Three Hitmen Named Among Top Skaters for 2019 NHL Draft - Calgary Hitmen
- Gauthier, Moberg Listed in NHL Central Scouting Midterm Rankings - Prince George Cougars
- Hughes Leaves Team - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- 48 WHL Players Highlight NHL Central Scouting Midterm Rankings - WHL
- Rockets Recognized by NHL Central Scouting Bureau - Kelowna Rockets
- Dach Ranked #2 for 2019 NHL Draft - Saskatoon Blades
- Winterhawks Rally Late against the Americans, But Fall 3-2 - Portland Winterhawks
- Boyko Stands Tall in Win over Portland - Tri-City Americans
- Rebels Roll over Hitmen, Move into Second Place in Central Division - Red Deer Rebels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kelowna Rockets Stories
- Kelowna Rockets Korczak Picks up Assist in Canada's Opening Victory at U18 World Championship
- Kelowna Rockets Korczak Named to Hockey Canada's 2019 IIHF U18 World Championship Roster
- Five Rockets Listed by NHL Central Scouting in Final Rankings
- Former Rocket Named ECHL's 2018-19 CCM/ECHL Most Valuable Player
- Eight Alumni to Compete for Stanley Cup