Warriors' Almeida Named WHL On the Run Player of the Week
January 21, 2019 - Western Hockey League (WHL) News Release
Calgary, Alta. - The Western Hockey League announced today that Pittsburgh Penguins prospect and Moose Jaw Warriors forward Justin Almeida has been named the WHL On the Run Player of the Week for the week ending January 20, 2019.
Almeida recorded eight points (3G-5A) and a plus-four rating in four games this past week as the Warriors began their biennial road trip through the B.C. Division with a 3-0-1-0 record to keep them in third place in the East Division. Almeida is a prospect of the National Hockey League's Pittsburgh Penguins, selected in the fifth round, 129th overall, at the 2018 NHL Draft.
Tuesday, Almeida scored twice, earning Moose Jaw's second goal on the power play and fourth goal on even strength, while also adding a pair of helpers on the Warriors' third and fifth goal. Almeida's contribution led to a 5-2 win in Kamloops against the Blazers as well as first star of the game and first star of the night honours in the WHL.
Against the Kelowna Rockets on Wednesday night, Almeida picked up another power-play goal in the second period, helping the Warriors win against the Rockets, 5-1.
Friday, Almeida had three assists in the Warriors' 4-0 shutout against the Victoria Royals. Although the Warriors were dealt an overtime loss in Vancouver the next night, 2-1, Almeida finished his successful week by leading his team with seven shots on net.
The 5-foot-11, 160-pound forward is enjoying another solid season with the Warriors, posting 59 points (14G-45A) in 39 games, including six power-play goals, one short-handed goal, and one game-winning goal. Originally selected fifth overall, at the 2014 WHL Bantam Draft, Almeida began his WHL career with the Prince George Cougars, joining the Moose Jaw Warriors via trade in January 2017.
The Kitimat, B.C. product has played in 231 WHL games, recording 191 points (70G-121A), including 21 power-play goals, seven short-handed goals, and 12 game-winning goals.
The Warriors return to action Tuesday, January 22 (7:00 p.m. PT), as the B.C. Division portion of their road trip wraps up at the CN Centre in Prince George against the Cougars.
WHL On the Run Player of the Week
Jan. 14 - Jan. 20: Justin Almeida, Moose Jaw Warriors
Jan. 7 - Jan. 13: Bowen Byram, Vancouver Giants
Dec. 31 - Jan. 6: Noah Philp, Seattle Thunderbirds
Dec. 27 - Dec. 30: Noah Gregor, Prince Albert Raiders
Dec. 10 - Dec. 16: Dante Hannoun, Victoria Royals
Dec. 3 - Dec. 9: Jett Woo, Moose Jaw Warriors
Nov. 26 - Dec. 2: Cody Glass, Portland Winterhawks
Nov. 19 - Nov. 25: Brett Leason, Prince Albert Raiders
Nov. 12 - Nov. 18: Tristin Langan, Moose Jaw Warriors
Nov. 5 - Nov. 11: Riley Woods, Spokane Chiefs
Oct. 29 - Nov. 4: Joachim Blichfeld, Portland Winterhawks
Oct. 22 - Oct. 28: Alexander Alexeyev, Red Deer Rebels
Oct. 15 - Oct. 21: Mark Kastelic, Calgary Hitmen
Oct. 8 - Oct. 14: Brett Leason, Prince Albert Raiders
Oct. 1 - Oct. 7: Dawson Davidson, Saskatoon Blades
Sept. 24 - Sept. 30: Luka Burzan, Brandon Wheat Kings
Sept. 21 - Sept. 23: Kirby Dach, Saskatoon Blades
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 21, 2019
- Goaltender Dustin Wolf, Defenseman Gianni Fairbrother Listed in NHL Central Scouting's Midterm Rankings - Everett Silvertips
- Top 40 CHL Players Eligible for this Year's NHL Entry Draft on Display Wednesday at Centrium - Red Deer Rebels
- Canes Chatter - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Rockets' Porter Named WHL Eli Wilson Goaltending Goaltender of the Week - Kelowna Rockets
- Leason, Protas Listed in NHL Central Scouting Midterm Rankings - Prince Albert Raiders
- Three Americans Players Listed on NHL Central Scouting Midterm Rankings - Tri-City Americans
- Rockets' Porter Named WHL Eli Wilson Goaltending Goaltender of the Week - WHL
- Warriors' Almeida Named WHL On the Run Player of the Week - WHL
- Three Hitmen Named Among Top Skaters for 2019 NHL Draft - Calgary Hitmen
- Gauthier, Moberg Listed in NHL Central Scouting Midterm Rankings - Prince George Cougars
- Hughes Leaves Team - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- 48 WHL Players Highlight NHL Central Scouting Midterm Rankings - WHL
- Rockets Recognized by NHL Central Scouting Bureau - Kelowna Rockets
- Dach Ranked #2 for 2019 NHL Draft - Saskatoon Blades
- Winterhawks Rally Late against the Americans, But Fall 3-2 - Portland Winterhawks
- Boyko Stands Tall in Win over Portland - Tri-City Americans
- Rebels Roll over Hitmen, Move into Second Place in Central Division - Red Deer Rebels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.