Leason, Protas Listed in NHL Central Scouting Midterm Rankings
Prince Albert, SK - Two Prince Albert Raiders found their names on NHL Central Scouting's midterm rankings, which were released on Monday morning.
Brett Leason was ranked 17th among North American skaters, while Aliaksei Protas came in at 77th in the same category. Both players were left off NHL Central Scouting's Players to Watch list at the beginning of the year, but were included in November's list as potential fourth-to-sixth round draft picks.
Leason is having a career year for the Raiders with 31 goals and 42 assists in 39 games played this season, already setting new highs in all offensive categories. The Calgary product has received recognition as a two-time WHL On the Run Player of the Week, two-time WHL McSweeney's Player of the Month, and a CHL Player of the Week.
Earlier this season, the 6'4, 199-lb winger was a member of Team WHL at the CIBC Canada Russia Series. He assisted on the game-winning goal in Team WHL's lone win of the event.
Leason also represented Canada at the 2019 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship in Vancouver and Victoria. He finished the tournament with three goals and two assists in five games.
Protas was selected 26th overall in June's CHL Import Draft. In 39 games this year, the Vitebsk, Belarus product has nine goals and 20 assists.
The 6'5, 192-lb forward suited up for Belarus at the 2019 IIHF U20 World Championship Division 1 tournament in December. Protas picked up a pair of goals and three assists as Belarus finished second in the round-robin format.
The Raiders are back in action on Tuesday night in Victoria when they take on the Royals (22-19-1-0) at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Arena. Puck drop is 9:05 p.m. Catch the game at The Rock And Iron Sports Bar at the Prince Albert Golf and Curling Club or listen on 900 CKBI.
Leason will take part in the 2019 Sherwin-Williams CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game in Red Deer on Wednesday night as part of Head Coach Marc Habscheid's Team Orr. Catch the game on Sportsnet at 9 p.m. CST.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 21, 2019
- Goaltender Dustin Wolf, Defenseman Gianni Fairbrother Listed in NHL Central Scouting's Midterm Rankings - Everett Silvertips
- Top 40 CHL Players Eligible for this Year's NHL Entry Draft on Display Wednesday at Centrium - Red Deer Rebels
- Canes Chatter - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Rockets' Porter Named WHL Eli Wilson Goaltending Goaltender of the Week - Kelowna Rockets
- Leason, Protas Listed in NHL Central Scouting Midterm Rankings - Prince Albert Raiders
- Three Americans Players Listed on NHL Central Scouting Midterm Rankings - Tri-City Americans
- Rockets' Porter Named WHL Eli Wilson Goaltending Goaltender of the Week - WHL
- Warriors' Almeida Named WHL On the Run Player of the Week - WHL
- Three Hitmen Named Among Top Skaters for 2019 NHL Draft - Calgary Hitmen
- Gauthier, Moberg Listed in NHL Central Scouting Midterm Rankings - Prince George Cougars
- Hughes Leaves Team - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- 48 WHL Players Highlight NHL Central Scouting Midterm Rankings - WHL
- Rockets Recognized by NHL Central Scouting Bureau - Kelowna Rockets
- Dach Ranked #2 for 2019 NHL Draft - Saskatoon Blades
- Winterhawks Rally Late against the Americans, But Fall 3-2 - Portland Winterhawks
- Boyko Stands Tall in Win over Portland - Tri-City Americans
- Rebels Roll over Hitmen, Move into Second Place in Central Division - Red Deer Rebels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.