Rochester Red Wings Game Notes
Durham Bulls (23-15) @ Rochester Red Wings (15-23)
Frontier Field - Rochester, NY - 7:05 p.m.
RHP J.D. Martin (4-1, 3.69) vs. RHP Kyle Gibson (2-4, 3.32)
TODAY'S GAME: After losing their first series in nearly a month, the Red Wings begin a new series Tuesday night (7:05 pm) as they welcome the Durham Bulls (Rays) to Frontier Field for a 4-game set... Rochester is just 6-9 in their last 15 games after a season-high 4-game win streak 4/24-4/27. The Bulls come to town with a 23-15 record and are tied atop the International League wild card standings with Pawtucket. Durham is 3.0-games back of Norfolk in the IL South.
MORE ABOUT YESTERDAY...:
-Antoan Richardson went 1-for-4 with a walk in his Red Wings debut, extending his on-base streak to 24 games between New Britain and Rochester.
-The Wings went 4-for-10 with runners in scoring position for the 2nd straight game after having just 8 total hits with RISP in the previous 8 games.
BULLED OVER: The Durham Bulls claimed the 2012 season series against the Red Wings, 6-2. The Bulls outscored the Red Wings 34-18 and out-hit them 65-38 in taking 3 of 4 from Rochester at Frontier Field. The last time the Wings won a series against the Bulls at home was 2008 (3-1) -- the same year of their last season series win over Durham (5-3)... Since 2003, Rochester is just 33-46 against Durham, including a 19-20 mark at Frontier Field.
-The Red Wings are winless in 15 all-time series (0-8-7) at Durham Bulls Athletic Park
GIBSON BACK TO THE MOUND: After a well-deserved extra day of rest, RHP Kyle Gibson will take the mound tonight for the Wings fresh off his second career, 9-inning, complete-game shutout and the first by a Red Wings pitcher since Jeff Manship on 6/3/10 vs. NOR... Gibson has been very good at home this season with a 2.04 ERA (4 ER/17.2 IP) in 3 GS. In his last start at Frontier Field he allowed just two hits and didn't allow a runner to reach second base in 6.2 shutout innings vs BUF.
-The Wings have only scored a total of 12 runs in the 7 games started by Gibson this season
IN A PINCH: Brian Dinkelman's 2-run, pinch-hit single in the 9th inning yesterday was just the 3rd pinch-hit by the Red Wings this season and first that resulted in RBI's. The other 2 pinch hits have come from Ray Olmedo, who is 2-for-2 with a double in those spots this season... As a team, Red Wings' pinch hitters are 3-for-19 (.158) on the year.
HITTIN' THE HOMER: After Jeff Clement's home run last night the Red Wings have now hit 32 homers in the first 38 games of the season... Last season, the Wings didn't hit their 32nd home run until June 14 -- their 66th game of the season. The 32 home runs rank 4th in the International League -- 11 behind Buffalo's league-leading 43 homers.
-Chris Colabello's 8 home runs lead the team and are tied for 2nd in the IL
-All 3 of Clement's home runs have come against Columbus this season
DE VRIES REHABS WEDNESDAY: Minnesota Twins RHP Cole De Vries is set to make a rehab start with the Red Wings on Wednesday night. De Vries has missed the first month-and-a-half of the season after hitting the disabled list with a strained right forearm on April 7. This will be the 28-year-old's 3rd rehab start after appearances with Ft. Myers (4 ip, 2r, er) and New Britain (5 ip, 5r, 2er, 2 hr). A Minnesota native, De Vries made his Major League debut last season with the Twins going 5-5 with a 4.11 ERA in 17 games (16 starts). He has appeared with the Red Wings in each of the past three seasons posting a 7-10 mark with a 4.39 ERA in 51 career games (17 starts).
CLUBBIN' COLABELLO: Entering play Tuesday, Red Wings 1B Chris Colabello ranks 10th in the league in hitting (.326), T-2nd in HR (8), 3rd in total bases (83), T-4th in hits (47) and 5th in OPS (.963)... He's hit in 14 of the last 15 games (.361; 22-for-61) and has recorded a hit in 79% (30 of 38) of games this season. Colabello is also the only Red Wing to start and play in every game so far this season.
SETTING THE BAR: Red Wings reliever LHP Caleb Thielbar has been the most consistent Red Wings reliever of late after his 2.2 shutout innings in game one on Saturday behind Samuel Deduno. Since allowing 5 earned runs in an outing for the first time since 5/21/10 (Wisconsin, A), Thielbar has responded by allowing just one hit in 8.1 scoreless innings over his last 5 appearances dropping his ERA over 2 full points from 6.60 to 4.24... On the season, he also has the best SO/9 inn. ratio on the team (12.0; 31 SO/23.1 IP)... He has been lights out at home, allowing just 2ER in 10.1IP (1.74 ERA), compared to 9ER in 10.1IP on the road (7.84).
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from May 14, 2013
- Bats Win Back-And-Forth Battle with Charlotte - Louisville Bats
- Soriano, Chiefs Walk off in 14 - Syracuse Mets
- Red Wings Post-Game Notes - Rochester Red Wings
- Indians Blast Buffalo 10-4 - Indianapolis Indians
- PawSox Top Gwinnet 5-3 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Exposito, Big Eighth Propel Tides over Lehigh Valley - Norfolk Tides
- Mud Hens Rout Railriders, 10-2 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Hens Outslug RailRiders, 10-2, for Second Straight Win - Toledo Mud Hens
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Notes - Buffalo at Indianapolis (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Orioles Place LHP Wei-Yin Chen on 15-Day Disabled List - Norfolk Tides
- Victory Field's 10 Millionth Fan Contest Launched - Indianapolis Indians
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - Rochester Red Wings
- Gwinnett Braves Host "Will to Win Night" on May 18 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Louisville Offense Starting to Take Flight - Louisville Bats
- IronPigs Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Cole De Vries Set to Make Rehab Start with Red Wings on Wednesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Columbus Prevails over Rochester 7-5 - Columbus Clippers
- Hamilton Runs Wild, Bullpen Falters - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.