Roanoke Beaten in Knoxville, 5-2
KNOXVILLE, Tn. - Jeff Jones scored on the power play in the first period to extend his point streak to seven games but the Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs were beaten by the Knoxville Ice Bears, 5-2, Friday night at the Knoxville Civic Coliseum.
The Ice Bears opened the scoring in the first period on a power play. Stefan Brucato fed Lucas Bombardier from below the net for a snap shot that beat Henry Dill high on the glove catching side to put Knoxville on top, 1-0.
Roanoke tied the game later in the third while on a power play of its own. Matt O'Dea took the puck below the goal line and fed Jones cutting down the slot. Jones ripped a shot past Cody Porter's glove and the score was even, 1-1.
But Knoxville took the lead for good in the final minute of the first. Dill made the initial save off a rush on a Gehrett Saris shot but Scott Cuthrell knocked home the rebound to make it 2-1.
The Ice Bears grabbed two more in the second period; first Sargis finished on a two-on-one rush then Brucato capitalized on a defensive zone turnover and hammered a shot top shelf that pushed the score to 4-1.
Roanoke changed goaltenders at the outset of the third, summoning Austyn Roudebush into the game. Early in the period, the Ice Bears forced a turnover in the Dawgs end and Dwyer Tschantz was set up for a snap shot that snuck under the crossbar and the score was 5-1.
The Dawgs got one back late in the third as Brad Riccardi dug the puck from below the goal line and carried it toward the crease. He slid a shot five hole through Cody Porter, cutting the deficit to 5-2.
Jones' goal extended his point streak to seven games and pushed his team-leading total to 12, Dill made 23 saves on 27 shots and Roudebush stopped eight of nine in relief. The Rail Yard Dawgs fell to 12-20-5 with their fourth straight loss while Knoxville improved to 22-15-4. Roanoke and Knoxville will tangle again on Saturday night. Puck drop at the Knoxville Civic Coliseum is scheduled for 7:35 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from February 14, 2020
- Fregeau Gets Gordie Howe Hat Trick in 4-1 Win over Evansville - Peoria Rivermen
- Mayhem Overcome Ice Flyers on Valentine's Day - Macon Mayhem
- Sutliffe Tallies 20th Goal in 4-1 Loss to Rivermen - Evansville Thunderbolts
- Ice Bears Maul Roanoke 5-2 - Knoxville Ice Bears
- Roanoke Beaten in Knoxville, 5-2 - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Rail Yard Dawgs Game Notes: Rail Yard Dawgs (12-19-5) at Ice Bears (22-15-4) - 7:35 PM - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Preview: Mayhem at Pensacola Ice Flyers (Game 39) - Macon Mayhem
- Billett Leads Bolts over Peoria in Shootout, 3-2 - Evansville Thunderbolts
- Rivermen Stunned by Thunderbolts in 3-2 Shootout - Peoria Rivermen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.