Rivermen Edge IceGators 2-1
Peoria, Ill. --The Peoria Rivermen got a measure of revenge against the Louisiana IceGators Friday night.
After dropping two games in Lafayette to the IceGators, Peoria rode a fast and furious second period to a 2-1 victory. Garrett Vermeersch scored the game-winner on a power play at the 8:09 mark of the second. Joe Schiller led Peoria with two assists.
The two teams face each other again Saturday night in Peoria at 7:05 p.m.
"This is a tough road loss," said IceGators head coach Kevin Kaminski. "We definitely played well enough to win. We did some good things. We had our opportunities, but we didn't capitalize. We missed four or five open net opportunities.
"Defensively, we lost our coverage on [Peoria's] two goals. We have to stop and start at home plate and stay between our guy and the net."
Dean Yakura opened the scoring at the 1:24 mark of the second period off assists from Schiller and Steve Morra.
Jordan Braid tied the game at the 6:12 mark after taking a feed from Chris Wilson.
Vermeersch's go-ahead goal came off assists from Schiller and Parker Stanfield.
The second period saw a total of 39 shots on goal-21 from the IceGators and 18 from the Rivermen.
Kaminski says his team can right the ship easily by following a few simple steps.
"We need to relax and finish," Kaminski said. "We need to have mental toughness. We have to come with more determination and drive and respond with more character. We're going to have to dig deep and find ways to win."
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from February 28, 2014
- Rivermen Edge IceGators 2-1 on Friday - Peoria Rivermen
- Ice Bears Win 3-2 in Shoot Out - Knoxville Ice Bears
- Havoc Hold Onto Early Lead to Beat Thunder - Bloomington Thunder
- Rivermen Edge IceGators 2-1 - Louisiana IceGators
- Late Third-Period Goals Down RiverKings - Mississippi RiverKings
- Matt Gingera Beats the Surge in Columbus - Mississippi Surge
- Columbus Downs Mississippi Surge in Overtime, 6-5 - Columbus Cottonmouths
- Mardi Gras Jersey Sale Tomorrow - Mississippi Surge
- Rivermen Release Ketts; Sign Jillson - Peoria Rivermen
- FireAntz Sign Hand to 3-Game Tryout - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Columbus Wins Tough Contest against Mississippi Surge, 5-3 - Columbus Cottonmouths
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.