RiverDogs Win Opener Against Shorebirds
Charleston, SC: The Delmarva Shorebirds (17-15) dropped the series opener to the Charleston RiverDogs (14-20) by a score of 5-1 on Tuesday night.
The Shorebirds developed a pair of threats early by putting runners at the corners with two outs in the first, and with one out in the third but could not score either time.
Charleston then proceeded to take the first lead of the game in the fourth with an RBI single by Carlos Colmenarez, followed by a fly ball to left that was misplayed by Stiven Acevedo that allowed Dominic Keegan to score, making it 2-0 Charleston.
They'd add on another run in the fifth on an infield single by Chandler Simpson with the throw to first causing an error, bringing in Christopher Barete from second base to up the RiverDogs lead to 3-0
In the seventh, the Shorebirds got on the board on a fielder's choice off the bat of Victor Gonzalez as he beat the throw to first to avoid a double play, scoring Douglas Hodo in the process to cut the deficit to 3-1.
In the eighth, Charleston made a comeback attempt by Delmarva more difficult by scoring two more times on RBIs by Chandler Simpson and Cooper Kinney gave the RiverDogs their largest lead at 5-1, and they'd go on to win by that score to take the series opener.
Jake Christianson (1-0) earned the win in relief for Charleston with Wyatt Cheney (1-4) taking the defeat for Delmarva.
Carter Young and Elio Prado each picked up multiple hits for the Shorebirds on Tuesday night with Victor Gonzalez earning his first RBI with the team on a fielder's choice in the seventh.
Delmarva will now look to even the series on Wednesday night as they send Deivy Cruz to the slab to face Kikito Severino for the RiverDogs with first pitch scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from May 16, 2023
- Carolina Crushes Cannon Ballers 14-2 - Carolina Mudcats
- Woodies Whacked Woodpeckers - Down East Wood Ducks
- Pelicans Sacrifice Five in Ninth, Lose 9-4 to GreenJackets - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- FredNats Squander Early Lead Against Columbia - Fredericksburg Nationals
- RiverDogs Win Opener Against Shorebirds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Close the Door with Six Unanswered - Columbia Fireflies
- GreenJackets Score Five in Ninth, Ground Pelicans on Tuesday Night - Augusta GreenJackets
- Simpson Wreaks Havoc as RiverDogs Down Delmarva - Charleston RiverDogs
- Rain, Deficit Spoil Hillcats Hopes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- RiverDogs, Boeing to Induct First Class of 2023 into Hall of Honor - Charleston RiverDogs
- RHP Yujanyer Herrera Reinstated from IL - Carolina Mudcats
- GreenJackets Upcoming Homestand Promotions May 23-May 28 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Fireworks with the Phil Returns to Segra Park in 2023 - Columbia Fireflies
- Columbia Fireflies Game Notes 5.16 at Fredericksburg - Columbia Fireflies
- Salem Takes the Series in Walk-Off Win - Salem Red Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Delmarva Shorebirds Stories
- Delmarva Shorebirds Announce Coaching Staff for 2024 Season
- Delmarva Shorebirds Announce 2024 Job Fair for February 17, 2024
- TV Color Commentator and Former Orioles Pitcher Ben McDonald Highlights 2024 Shorebirds Hot Stove Banquet
- Shorebirds & Preston Automotive Group Raise over $4,000 in Funds and Toys Through Flock for a Cure
- Shorebirds - FredNats Game for September 9 Cancelled