Fireflies Close the Door with Six Unanswered
COLUMBIA, SC - The Columbia Fireflies were down 4-0 exiting the third, but scored six runs after the fifth to win 6-4 vs the Fredericksburg Nationals at Virginia Credit Union Stadium Tuesday night.
Lizandro Rodriguez capped off the comeback with a two-run blast in the eighth, scoring Jean Ramirez and putting the Fireflies (20-14) up 5-4. It was Ramirez's fourth round-tripper of the season and his first since April 30.
In the eighth, Roger Leyton added some insurance, scoring Erick Peña from second with an RBI single. Leyton had three hits for a second-consecutive game Tuesday night. He's 6-8 since Sunday.
The bullpen came out and closed the door against Fredericksburg. Eduardo Herrera got things started with two scoreless frames before handing the ball to Chazz Martinez (W, 3-3) who went a pair of innings without allowing a run. Finally, Wesley Scott spun a scoreless eighth and Cooper McKeehan (S, 4) shut the door in the ninth. McKeehan now has three saves on this road trip.
The Fireflies bats started their scoring stretch in the sixth. Omar Hernandez came up with the bases loaded and no outs and grounded into a double play to bring home Dionmy Salon to get Columbia on the board. Next, Lizandro Rodriguez reached on a fielding error at first, allowing Leyton to come around and cut Fredericksburg's lead to 4-2.
Brennon McNair added one more in the seventh, singling to left to plate Daniel Vazquez to set up Rodriguez's go-ahead homer.
The Fredericksburg Nationals (11-21) got the scoring started in the second. After Elijah Green hit a bloop single to right field, before Branden Boissiere cracked hisi third homer of the season to right to put Fredericksburg in front 2-0 in the second.
The next inning, Fredericksburg was able to battle against Fireflies starter Steven Zobac again. Daylin Lile led the frame off with a base knock and came around on a Boissiere infield single. Roismar Quintana also had a RBI knock, putting Fredericksburg in front 4-0.
The Fireflies kick-off tomorrow's contest early at 12:05 pm at Virginia Credit Union Stadium. RHP Ben Kudrna (2-2, 4.85 ERA) takes the hill for Columbia and Fredericksburg counters with LHP Jake Bennett (1-2, 2.05 ERA).
Columbia returns home Tuesday, May 23 to start a six-game series with the Charleston RiverDogs. The week marks the return of Copa de la Diversíon weekend presented by Southern Recipe Small Batch Pork Rinds, where the Fireflies will become Los Chiccarones de Columbia for the weekend. Friday, the Fireflies will give away a soccer scarf for the first 1,000 fans through the gates thanks to Southern Recipe Small Batch and Saturday, we'll have a fantastic fireworks display. Tickets are still available at FirefliesTickets.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from May 16, 2023
- Carolina Crushes Cannon Ballers 14-2 - Carolina Mudcats
- Woodies Whacked Woodpeckers - Down East Wood Ducks
- Pelicans Sacrifice Five in Ninth, Lose 9-4 to GreenJackets - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- FredNats Squander Early Lead Against Columbia - Fredericksburg Nationals
- RiverDogs Win Opener Against Shorebirds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Close the Door with Six Unanswered - Columbia Fireflies
- GreenJackets Score Five in Ninth, Ground Pelicans on Tuesday Night - Augusta GreenJackets
- Simpson Wreaks Havoc as RiverDogs Down Delmarva - Charleston RiverDogs
- Rain, Deficit Spoil Hillcats Hopes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- RiverDogs, Boeing to Induct First Class of 2023 into Hall of Honor - Charleston RiverDogs
- RHP Yujanyer Herrera Reinstated from IL - Carolina Mudcats
- GreenJackets Upcoming Homestand Promotions May 23-May 28 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Fireworks with the Phil Returns to Segra Park in 2023 - Columbia Fireflies
- Columbia Fireflies Game Notes 5.16 at Fredericksburg - Columbia Fireflies
- Salem Takes the Series in Walk-Off Win - Salem Red Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Capital City/Lake Murray Country Announces Legendary Country Music Band ALABAMA Will Headline the Inaugural Southeastern BBQ Showdown
- Battle at BullStreet Tickets Available for Purchase February 16 at Noon
- Audition to Sing the National Anthem at Segra Park in 2024
- Fireflies Announce 2024 Daily Promotions
- Fireflies 2024 Individual Tickets on Sale February 8