Salem Takes the Series in Walk-Off Win
SALEM, Va. - A beautiful Mother's Day it was, at Salem Memorial Ballpark. The Red Sox walked it off in game six against the Columbia Fireflies to take the series, four games to two in the come from behind win.
The scoring started early for both teams as Columbia scored a run in the top of the first on a double steal, with Daniel Vazqeuz crossing home plate, who was aboard on a one-out double.
Salem would respond with two runs of their own in the home half of the first inning. Roman Anthony started his day strong with a lead-off single. Luis Ravelo followed it up with a walk before Allan Castro singled to put runners on the corners. Roman Anthony was thrown out at home plate for the first out. Luis Ravelo scored on a throwing error from Omar Hernandez from behind home plate in his unsuccessful attempt to catch Allan Castro stealing second. Lyonell James gave Salem the 2-1 lead with an RBI double, scoring Castro.
Holding Columbia scoreless in the top of the second, the Red Sox added on some more with another run in the bottom of the second. Roman Anthony scored Albert Feliz on a sacrifice fly to right field, who was aboard via a leadoff walk. Juan Montero also recorded a base hit in the inning, but was stranded at second.
After a scoreless third for both teams, Columbia roared back with a hat-trick in the fourth, scoring three runs. Salem responded with a run of their own in the bottom of the fourth to re-tie the game at four on an RBI single off the barrel of Roman Anthony, scoring Karson Simas.
Columbia would score a run in each of the next four consecutive innings. A run in the fifth, sixth, seventh, and eighth. The Red Sox had one of their strongest offensive innings of the season in the fifth, scoring two runs. Allan Castro led off with a solo home-run over the right field wall to tie the game at five. It marked his second homer of the season. After two quick outs, Yorberto Mejicano gave the Red Sox the 6-5 lead, crushing a no-doubter over the left field fence for his first home run of the season. Albert Feliz would single and so would Juan Montero, but the party came to an end as Feliz was thrown out at third. It was the first time all year, the Red Sox homered twice in the same inning.
After going scoreless in the sixth and seventh, Salem added a run in the eight to stay in it off an RBI single from Roman Anthony, scoring Simas for the second time.
It was an 8-7 lead for the Fireflies heading to the bottom of the ninth as they looked for the series split and their second straight win. Salem said not so fast. Allan Castro got to first on a dropped third strike and pinch-hitting Juan Chacon worked a walk. Castro stole third to put runners on the corners before Ahbram Liendo tied the game with a fielder's choice that scored Castro and saw Chacon forced out at second. Liendo would steal both second and third to put the winning run 90 feet away. Yorberto Mejicano walked, setting the table for Albert Feliz, who drove a base hit into left to walk it off in the bottom of the ninth. It was Salem's second walk-off of the series and their third of the season. 9-8, the final.
Roman Anthony went three for four with three RBI's with his family in attendance on Mother's Day. Allan Castro had a multi-hit day, going two for five with a home run and an RBI. Albert Feliz was the hero, going two for four with the crucial RBI on the day and in just his fourth game for Salem, Juan Montero played well going two for four . Yorberto Mejicano's home run extended his hit streak to six games in a row.
Salem heads on the road for a six game series with the Hillcats in Lynchburg starting on Tuesday before returning home the following week for a series with Fredricksburg in Salem.
Location: Salem Memorial Ballpark
First Pitch: 3:07 p.m.
Time of Game: 2:48
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from May 16, 2023
- Carolina Crushes Cannon Ballers 14-2 - Carolina Mudcats
- Woodies Whacked Woodpeckers - Down East Wood Ducks
- Pelicans Sacrifice Five in Ninth, Lose 9-4 to GreenJackets - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- FredNats Squander Early Lead Against Columbia - Fredericksburg Nationals
- RiverDogs Win Opener Against Shorebirds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Close the Door with Six Unanswered - Columbia Fireflies
- GreenJackets Score Five in Ninth, Ground Pelicans on Tuesday Night - Augusta GreenJackets
- Simpson Wreaks Havoc as RiverDogs Down Delmarva - Charleston RiverDogs
- Rain, Deficit Spoil Hillcats Hopes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- RiverDogs, Boeing to Induct First Class of 2023 into Hall of Honor - Charleston RiverDogs
- RHP Yujanyer Herrera Reinstated from IL - Carolina Mudcats
- GreenJackets Upcoming Homestand Promotions May 23-May 28 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Fireworks with the Phil Returns to Segra Park in 2023 - Columbia Fireflies
- Columbia Fireflies Game Notes 5.16 at Fredericksburg - Columbia Fireflies
- Salem Takes the Series in Walk-Off Win - Salem Red Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Salem Red Sox Stories
- Salem Red Sox Releases 2024 Promotional Schedule and Ticket Options
- Salem Red Sox Announce 2024 Coaching Staff
- Salem Red Sox Announce 2024 Broadcasters
- Carillon Clinic Field Set to Install Clear Bag Policy and Go Cashless for 2024 Season
- Salem Red Sox Announce Annual Carilion Clinic vs. Lewis Gale Charity Softball Game