Rios Shines with CG While Offense Dazzles, 13-1
DUNEDIN, FL - RHP Francisco Rios (W, 2-2) twirled his first career shutout while the Dunedin Blue Jays' (22-27) offense churned out a season high 13 runs on a season high 16 hits to beat the Daytona Tortugas (21-28) on Friday night.
Rios scattered seven hits and a walk fanning three throughout the ballgame, facing no more than four batters in any of the nine innings he pitched. While Rios was dealing, the offense brought their A-game to the park, starting with five runs out of the gate in the first inning. The Jays' put up five more in the sixth, one in the seventh and two in the eighth to get to 13.
The first big hit of the game came from RF Derrick Loveless, extending his hit streak to ten games. With a run already in and the bases juiced, Loveless took a LHP Seth Varner (L, 3-3) fastball to straight away center over the head of CF Jonathan Reynoso, a triple scoring all three baserunners. Dunedin scored multiple runs in the first inning for the third straight game. They got to Varner early, but the lefty starter for Daytona did not allow another run through his five innings, despite giving up two hits in the second and third innings.
The sixth inning brought LHP Greg Williams to the mound for the Tortugas. Williams had only allowed three hits without a run in ten inning all season entering the game, but could not get out of the inning, surrendering five runs on four extra-base hits. The final blow was 1B Ryan McBroom's two-run home run to left field, his eighth of the year.
Loveless fell a home run shy of the cycle while McBroom collected three hits on the night as well. 3B Emilio Guerrero also aided with a pair of doubles. CF Anthony Alford extended his hit streak to 11 games while DH L.B. Dantzler pushed his to nine.
These two teams play one more game in Dunedin before heading over to Daytona for four more. RHP Kyle Westwood duels RHP Tejay Antone with first pitch at 6:30.
Images from this story
Dunedin Blue Jays Pitcher Francisco Rios
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from May 27, 2016
- Mercado Walks It Off In Style - Palm Beach Cardinals
- Rios Shines with CG While Offense Dazzles, 13-1 - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Pitching Lifts Marauders - Bradenton Marauders
- Marauders Sweep Mets in Doubleheader - St. Lucie Mets
- Martin Lifts Threshers in 10-Inning Win - Clearwater Threshers
- Crabs Shuffle by Miracle with Passed Ball Walk-Off, 3-2 - Fort Myers Miracle
- Mets Two-Hit Crabs in Finale - Charlotte Stone Crabs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dunedin Blue Jays Stories
- Warmoth Knocks 4 Hits, Castillo Takes Batting Title Lead in 9-3 Win
- Connor Eller Receives Blue Jays Community Service Award
- Orozco Takes Batting Title Lead in 8-1 Win over Daytona
- Dunedin Splits Doubleheader with Palm Beach
- Patrick Murphy Named Florida State League Pitcher of the Year