Riders Swept in Pivotal Doubleheader in Amarillo
AMARILLO, Texas - The Frisco RoughRiders were swept in a doubleheader by the Amarillo Sod Poodles on Wednesday night, losing 10-9 in game one and 3-0 in game two.
In game one, the RoughRiders (62-53) jumped out in front in the first inning when Justin Foscue blasted a three-run home run. It was Foscue's second home run of the season, after he hit is first in game one of the series. Melvin Novoa then followed up Foscue with a solo home run to make it 4-0 Frisco.
After Josh Smith hit an RBI single to make it 5-0 in the second, the Sod Poodles fought back in the bottom of the second inning, scoring four runs. Eduardo Diaz started the rally with a sacrifice fly before Jancarlos Cintron singled home a run and Ben DeLuzio hit a two-run double to pull Amarillo within a tally.
The RoughRiders extended their lead to 7-4 in the third when Foscue laced an RBI double and J.P. Martinez dropped a bunt, RBI single.
In the bottom of the third, Amarillo (57-59) returned to take the lead. Dominic Canzone singled in a run and Dominic Miroglio crushed a go-ahead, three-run home run to put the Sod Poodles up 8-7.
Blaine Crim then hammered a go-ahead, two-run home run of his own, his eighth with the RoughRiders and his 28th of the year overall, to put Frisco ahead 9-8 in the top of the seventh.
Amarillo came back one final time in the bottom of the seventh when Stone Garrett doubled home the game-tying run and Dominic Fletcher walked off the game with an RBI single, finishing off Frisco 10-9.
Blake Rogers (2-4) earned the win despite blowing the save in the top of the seventh for Amarillo.
Chase Lee (0-1) took the defeat for the RoughRiders, ceding both runs in the seventh.
In the nightcap, the Sod Poodles broke a scoreless tie in the third when Geraldo Perdomo singled home Jancarlos Cintron to make it 1-0.
In the fifth, Cintron then hammered a two-run home run and the Sod Poodles extended their lead to 3-0, where it would stay.
Kenny Hernandez (2-2) earned the win with five shutout inning in his start for Amarillo. Matt Brill took home his fourth save of the year with a scoreless ninth.
Noah Bremer (5-4) was handed the loss, ceding just three runs over his five innings while whiffing eight batters.
The RoughRiders and Sod Poodles continue their series on Thursday, September 16th at 7:05 p.m. from HODGETOWN. RHP Cole Winn (3-3, 2.40) starts for Frisco against RHP Drey Jameson (3-1, 3.79).
For tickets and more information about the Frisco RoughRiders, visit RidersBaseball.com or call 972.731.9200.
• Discuss this story on the Double-A Central League message board...
Double-A Central League Stories from September 16, 2021
- Martinez Hammers Grand Slam in Victory over Amarillo - Frisco RoughRiders
- Jameson Strikes out 12 in 4-1 Loss to Frisco - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Watson Deals in Relief and Matias Homers in 5-3 Win over Cardinals - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Back on the Big Screen: CC Movie Nights at Whataburger Field - Corpus Christi Hooks
- San Antonio Missions Announce End of the Year Blowout Sale - San Antonio Missions
- Wind Surge to Join MiLB's Copa De La Diversión Program in 2022 - Wichita Wind Surge
- Travs Pick up Win and Loss in Wichita - Arkansas Travelers
- Forsooth Hamlet & Tulsa Win, 6-4 - Midland RockHounds
- Amarillo Sweeps Frisco in Wednesday Doubleheader - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Drillers Stay in Playoff Hunt with Win in Midland - Tulsa Drillers
- Riders Swept in Pivotal Doubleheader in Amarillo - Frisco RoughRiders
- Lawson Leads Way in Shutout - Corpus Christi Hooks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.