Revolution Signs GK Bobby Shuttleworth
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The New England Revolution announced today that the club has signed goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth to a developmental contract, and that goalkeeper Zack Simmons has been waived.
Shuttleworth joins the team after a brief stint with the Austin Aztex of USL-1. Previously, he played three seasons at the University of Buffalo. In his senior season, he started all 20 of the Bulls' matches, compiling an 0.63 goals against average while posting eight shutouts. He had an .833 save percentage on his way to All Mid-Atlantic Conference honors.
Simmons, who was signed by the Revolution as a free agent on Jan. 30, 2009 after a stand-out career at UMass, did not make an appearance for the Revs. He has enrolled in law school at Yale University and will begin classes in late August.
"We're pleased to add Bobby to our roster and look forward to him joining the team later this week," Revolution Vice President of Player Personnel Michael Burns said. "Bobby trained with us for a brief time this spring and we believe he can develop further with our coaching staff."
"We also want to wish Zack all the best as he enters law school this fall." Burns added.
The Revolution has begun a three-week break from MLS action while starting defense of the team's SuperLiga title. The club kicks off SuperLiga group play on Sunday, June 21, when it hosts Mexican Primera Division opponent Santos Laguna at Gillette Stadium at 6:30 p.m. On Wednesday, June 24, the team will host a special SuperLiga doubleheader with a Revs-Kansas City Wizards matchup at 7 p.m., followed by a Santos Laguna-Atlas contest at 9 p.m. Group play wraps up on Sunday, June 24, when the Revs host Atlas at 4:30 p.m.
All group games will be televised live on Telefutura in Spanish, and carried live in English on WEEI Sports Radio 850 AM. Tickets are available by calling 1-877-GET-REVS, with special two-date packages starting at $36.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 18, 2009
- Real Salt Lake Gameday Preview - Real Salt Lake
- SuperLiga kicks off Saturday - MLS
- FC to Provide "Tickets for Troops" to Annual Fourth of July Game and Celebration at Pizza Hut Park - FC Dallas
- D.C. United in line to host U.S. Open Cup quarterfinal match - D.C. United
- Revolution vs. Santos Laguna Game Notes - New England Revolution
- Revolution All-Star Selections Unveiled - New England Revolution
- Revolution Signs GK Bobby Shuttleworth - New England Revolution
- Fire to face Hammerheads in U.S. Open Cup Third Round - Chicago Fire
- Offensive Shootout Results in Tie - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.