Republic FC Defeat Fresno FC 1-0 in Their First-Ever USL Matchup
FRESNO, Calif. - Luis Espino's first-half goal was enough to see Sacramento Republic FC defeat Fresno FC on the road on a Wednesday night where temperatures reached 99 degrees at kickoff.
Fresno had the first chance at goal in the 22nd minute when Noah Verhoeven tested Josh Cohen with a long-range effort after a deflected cross fell to his feet, but the Sacramento keeper made an easy save of the shot.
Republic FC then opened the scoring in the 37th minute when Luis Espino capitalized on a rebound from a Jure Matjasic shot. Justin Schmidt filtered a ball into the box to Matjasic, who with his back toward goal, turned past two defenders to fire a shot that Cochran was able to save, but the Fresno keeper let up a rebound that Espino simply tapped home to put his side ahead.
After a slow start to the second half, Sacramento nearly went ahead on two occasions in the 67th minute. First, Christian Eissele slipped Matjasic a through ball into the box and the Slovenian midfielder fired a shot at Cochran's near post that bounced off the keeper's chest. The rebound made its way to Jaime Villarreal on the edge of the box and the former LA Galaxy player curled a long-range effort toward the top-right corner of goal that forced a diving save from Cochran.
Fresno reacted and almost equalized just two minutes later when Jose Cuevas fired a powerful shot from about 40 yards out that sailed just wide of Cohen's goal.
Villyan Bijev, who moved to Fresno from Bulgaria at age five, nearly scored against his hometown's club in the 74th minute after taking on his defender on the right wing, cutting in to his preferred left foot and firing a shot that grazed the top of the bar.
Fresno's Danny Barrera had a clear chance to equalize with ten minutes left to play after finding space down the right wing. With no mark on him, the former Republic FC captain tried to curl a left-footed shot towards Cohen's far post, but his effort went well wide of goal.
Republic FC nearly doubled their lead in the 87th minute after Bijev earned a free kick on the left wing. Bijev sent a cross to the far post where an open Carlos Rodriguez was unable to keep his shot on target.
The match ended with Republic FC taking the first three points in their season series with Fresno FC. The win moves Sacramento up to t-second in the Western Conference with 28 points from 15 games. Next up for the Indomitable Club is a trip to Texas to take on San Antonio FC on Saturday, June 16.
Fresno FC 0:1 Sacramento Republic FC
Chukchansi Park - Fresno, CA
June 13, 2018 - Attendance: 4,136
Scoring Summary: SAC - Luis Espino 37.
Misconduct Summary: FRS - Jemal Johnson (caution) 85.
Sacramento Republic FC - Josh Cohen, Elliott Hord, Carlos Rodriguez, Justin Schmidt, Josh Turnley, Jaime Villarreal, Adam Moffat (Jeremy Hall 64), Jure Matjasic, Wilson Kneeshaw, Luis Espino (Villyan Bijev 64), Christian Eissele (Cameron Iwasa 80).
Subs Not Used: Rafael Diaz, Shannon Gomez, Hayden Partain, Roberto Hategan.
Stats: Shots: 13, Shots on Goal: 6, Saves: 6, Fouls: 10, Corner Kicks: 4, Offside: 0.
Fresno FC - C.J. Cochran, Bradley Kamdem Fewo, Ramon Del Campo, Alex Cooper, Cory Brown, Agustin Cazarez, Jemal Johnson, Juan Pablo Caffa (Ronny Argueta 72), Noah Verhoeven (Danny Barrera 61), Jose Cuevas, Pedro Ribeiro (Christian Chaney 59).
Subs Not Used: Sam Howard, Michael Daly, Matthew Baldisimo, Renato Bustamente.
Stats: Shots: 17, Shots on Goal: 6, Saves: 5, Fouls: 7, Corner Kicks: 7, Offside: 0.
Images from this story
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League message board...
United Soccer League Stories from June 14, 2018
- Roughnecks in Phoenix Saturday for Rematch with Rising FC - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Game Preview: FC Cincinnati vs. Richmond Kickers - FC Cincinnati
- Indy Eleven Travels to New York to Face Toronto FC II - Indy Eleven
- Beginning Tonight, Lights FC Shifts Open-To-The-Public Practices to Evenings at Kellogg-Zaher Soccer Complex - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Preview: Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC vs. New York Red Bulls II - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Independence Legend, MLS Standout Enzo Martinez to be Recognized Saturday - Charlotte Independence
- Goalkeeper Crepeau Voted USL Player of the Month - Ottawa Fury FC
- Ottawa's Crepeau Voted USL Player of the Month - USL
- USL Welcomes Turf Tank to Preferred Supplier Program - USL
- STLFC Partners with Red Robin - Saint Louis FC
- Lights FC Can't Find the Magic in 4-0 Loss to Phoenix Rising FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- T2 Fall 2-1 to OKC Energy FC at Providence Park Wednesday Night - Portland Timbers 2
- Republic FC Defeat Fresno FC 1-0 in Their First-Ever USL Matchup - Sacramento Republic FC
- Los Zorros Fall to Sacramento Republic FC in Highway 99 Derby - Fresno FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Falls 3-2 at Swope Park Rangers - Real Monarchs SLC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Republic FC Partners with Wide Open Walls Artist Lin Fei Fei to Design 2019 Season Ticket Member Scarf
- Republic FC's Unbeaten Run Ends as They Fall 2-1 to Saint
- Republic FC Defeat Rio Grande Valley FC Behind Cameron Iwasa's Record-Breaking Goal
- Republic FC Take Season Series against Fresno FC with a 1-0 Win
- Republic FC Sign Goalkeeper Thomas Olsen on Loan