Real Monarchs SLC Falls 3-2 at Swope Park Rangers
Kansas City, Kansas - Real Monarchs SLC (10-3-1, 31 points 1 West) fell to Western Conference rival Swope Park Rangers on Wednesday evening, 3-2 at Children's Mercy Park. The loss signified the first under Interim Head Coach Jamison Olave.
As the teams looked for the opener, physical play ensued to open up the match and in the 19th minute the Monarchs found the opening goal when FW Chandler Hoffman converted a penalty kick for his fourth goal of the season. Swope Park leveled the match just three minutes later as Colton Storm slammed home the equalizer from close range in the 22nd minute.
Swope would then play the aggressor for the remainder of the opening stanza, nearly finding the go-ahead goal late in the half, beating GK Connor Sparrow but not the far post as the match entered halftime at 1-1.
A heated second half ensued as Swope took the lead through Matheus Silva whose long-distance strike flew by Sparrow. Swope then doubled its advantage in the 79th minute as Tyler Blackwood's effort beat both Sparrow and DF Konrad Plewa, who made his club debut after entering as a substitute in the first half. The Monarchs then looked to get itself back in the match, cutting the deficit in half when Hoffman found his second of the match in the 83rd minute.
The Utah club pressed for the equalizer that never came as the match finished 3-2. Despite the loss, the Monarchs still remain atop the United Soccer League table.
UP NEXT: The Monarchs remain on the road for a match against Saint Louis FC on Saturday, June 16 at 6:30 p.m. MT from Toyota Stadium.
SLC: Chandler Hoffman (Penalty), 19th minute: After midfielder Jose Hernandez drew the penalty after being tripped up inside the area, Hoffman elected to take the penalty kick. Hoffman drive the ball low to the goalkeepers left, easily finding the bottom corner of the net.
SPR: Colton Storm, 22nd minute: After a scramble inside the penalty area, the ball found its way to Storm through the Monarchs defenders. Storm latched onto the ball and slammed it home from just outside the six-yard box to draw the hosts level.
SPR: Matheus Silva, 57th minute: Silva took the ball down 25 yards from goal and laced a driven shot towards the far, bottom corner of the net to beat Connor Sparrow in goal for the lead.
SPR: Tyler Blackwood, 79th minute: A poor giveaway in the back put Blackwood in 1v1 with Monarchs goalkeeper Connor Sparrow. After making the first save, Sparrow wasn't able to make the second as Blackwood tucked home near the edge of the penalty area.
SLC: Chandler Hoffman (Maikel Chang), 83rd minute: Streaking down the right side, Chang cut into the box with the ball then fired a low cross to the penalty spot to Hoffman. Hoffman did well to turn his left-footed effort into the far top corner for his second of the match.
- DF Konrad Plewa made his club debut after entering the match late in the first half after Michael Gallagher left the match due to injury.
- FW Chandler Hoffman now leads the team in goals scored after netting two times against Swope Park.
Match: Real Monarchs SLC at Swope Park Rangers
Date: June 13, 2018
Venue: Children's Mercy Park; Kansas City, Kansas
Weather: Sunny and 81 degrees
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
Real Monarchs SLC 1 1 2
Swope Park 1 2 3
SLC: Chandler Hoffman (Penalty) 19'
SPR: Colton Storm, 22'
SPR: Matheus Silva, 57'
SPR: Tyler Blackwood, 79'
SLC: Chandler Hoffman (Maikel Chang), 83'
Real Monarchs SLC (4-4-2): Connor Sparrow; Aaron Herrera, Michael Gallagher (Konrad Plewa, 35'), James Moberg, Kalen Ryden; Justin Portillo, Pablo Ruiz, Jose Hernandez (Juan Ignacio Mare, 74'); Maikel Chang, Masta Kacher (Josh Heard, 58'), Chandler Hoffman
Subs not used: Jake Leeker, Andrew Brody, Rhys Williams, Charlie Adams
Swope Park Rangers (4-5-1): Eric Dick; Parker Maher, Amer Didic, Matthew Lewis, Colton Storm (Bryam Rebellon, 83'); Matheus Silva, Roman Knox, Felipe Hernandez, Hadji Barry, Chase Minter (Wilson Harris, 81'); Tyler Blackwood (William Little, 94')
Subs not used: Darrin McLeod, Jahon Rad, Dakota Barnathan, Sebastian Cruz
Stats Summary: SPR/SLC
Shots: 16 / 14
Shots on Goal: 8 / 5
Saves: 3 / 5
Corner Kicks: 5 / 4
Fouls: 8 / 9
Offside: 3 / 3
SPR - Chase Minter (caution) 29'
SPR - Matheus Silva (caution) 44'
SLC - Pablo Ruiz (caution) 45'
Referee: Jon Freeman
Assistant Referees: Joseph Macht, Mitchell Parkhill
4th Official: Devin Blazek
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 14, 2018
- Roughnecks in Phoenix Saturday for Rematch with Rising FC - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Game Preview: FC Cincinnati vs. Richmond Kickers - FC Cincinnati
- Indy Eleven Travels to New York to Face Toronto FC II - Indy Eleven
- Beginning Tonight, Lights FC Shifts Open-To-The-Public Practices to Evenings at Kellogg-Zaher Soccer Complex - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Preview: Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC vs. New York Red Bulls II - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Independence Legend, MLS Standout Enzo Martinez to be Recognized Saturday - Charlotte Independence
- Goalkeeper Crepeau Voted USL Player of the Month - Ottawa Fury FC
- Ottawa's Crepeau Voted USL Player of the Month - USL
- USL Welcomes Turf Tank to Preferred Supplier Program - USL
- STLFC Partners with Red Robin - Saint Louis FC
- Lights FC Can't Find the Magic in 4-0 Loss to Phoenix Rising FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- T2 Fall 2-1 to OKC Energy FC at Providence Park Wednesday Night - Portland Timbers 2
- Republic FC Defeat Fresno FC 1-0 in Their First-Ever USL Matchup - Sacramento Republic FC
- Los Zorros Fall to Sacramento Republic FC in Highway 99 Derby - Fresno FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Falls 3-2 at Swope Park Rangers - Real Monarchs SLC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Monarchs SLC Stories
- Real Monarchs SLC Announces Full 2019 USL Championship Schedule
- Real Monarchs SLC Exercises Seven Player Options for 2019 Season
- Real Monarchs SLC Bow out of Playoffs with 1-0 Loss to Reno 1868 FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Open 2018 USL Cup Playoffs Saturday against Reno 1868 FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Shutout Fresno FC 1-0 in Regular Season Finale