Los Zorros Fall to Sacramento Republic FC in Highway 99 Derby
FRESNO, Calif. - It was a disappointing evening in downtown Fresno as the Foxes fell to Sacramento Republic FC, 1-0, in the first Highway 99 Derby held Wednesday night at Chukchansi Park.
Republic's Luis Espino scored the only goal of the evening, pushing in a rebound after Jure Matjasic's shot was blocked by C.J. Cochran at the 37th minute.
The Foxes tried to equalize the rest of the night, but were unable to penetrate the Sacramento defense as they fell to 3W-5L-7D in the Western Conference. Sacramento improves to 8W-3L-4D on the season.
Fresno tried to get on the board in the second half but saw shot attempts from Rony Argueta, Jose Cuevas and Danny Barrera all parried away the Sacramento keeper or miss just wide of the target. The three all had chances around the 80th minute, but could not break the shutout.
In the opening half, Fresno had a handful of long-range looks to go in front, beginning in the sixth minute when Bradley Kamdem Fewo fired a shot that missed just over the crossbar. At the 22nd minute, Noah Verhoeven found space near the half-moon, sending in a low-shot on the volley that Cohen collected. Four minutes later, Alex Cooper took a dribble across goal, but his shot was also not enough to make a threat. A few moments later, Jemal Johnson worked his way into the box for a header, only to land right at Cohen.
Fresno FC's newest signing, goalkeeper C.J. Cochran, had a proper debut in his first start, making five saves including a diving stop at the 67th minute.
Former Republic forward Christian Chaney entered as a substitute at the 59th minute for Pedro Ribeiro, as well as former Republic midfielder Danny Barrera, who entered a few minutes later for Verhoeven. On the other bench, Fresno native Villyan Bijev entered for Republic at the 64th minute for Espino. Bullard High graduate Elliott Hord started the match and played all 90 minutes in the midfield.
The Foxes remain at home for their next match, hosting Swope Park Rangers on Sunday, June 17th. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. at Chukchansi Park. Fans can purchase their tickets at the box office or online at tickets.fresnofc.com. Fresno FC is offering a Father's Day pack consisting of two tickets, a dad hat and a 3-by-5 foot flag for $50 while supplies last. Fans can purchase the Father's Day pack at tickets.fresnofc.com/fathersday.
EL MEXICANO MAN OF THE MATCH: C.J. COCHRAN, GK
Cochran had five saves, including a high-flying stop at the 67th minute in his debut start for the Foxes.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 14, 2018
- Roughnecks in Phoenix Saturday for Rematch with Rising FC - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Game Preview: FC Cincinnati vs. Richmond Kickers - FC Cincinnati
- Indy Eleven Travels to New York to Face Toronto FC II - Indy Eleven
- Beginning Tonight, Lights FC Shifts Open-To-The-Public Practices to Evenings at Kellogg-Zaher Soccer Complex - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Preview: Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC vs. New York Red Bulls II - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Independence Legend, MLS Standout Enzo Martinez to be Recognized Saturday - Charlotte Independence
- Goalkeeper Crepeau Voted USL Player of the Month - Ottawa Fury FC
- Ottawa's Crepeau Voted USL Player of the Month - USL
- USL Welcomes Turf Tank to Preferred Supplier Program - USL
- STLFC Partners with Red Robin - Saint Louis FC
- Lights FC Can't Find the Magic in 4-0 Loss to Phoenix Rising FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- T2 Fall 2-1 to OKC Energy FC at Providence Park Wednesday Night - Portland Timbers 2
- Republic FC Defeat Fresno FC 1-0 in Their First-Ever USL Matchup - Sacramento Republic FC
- Los Zorros Fall to Sacramento Republic FC in Highway 99 Derby - Fresno FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Falls 3-2 at Swope Park Rangers - Real Monarchs SLC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno FC Stories
- News | Fresno FC Announces 2019 USL Championship Schedule
- Fresno FC to Host Reno 1868 FC in 2019 USL Home Opener on March 23
- Fresno FC Signs Goalkeeper CJ Cochran for 2019 USL Championship Season
- Zorros Announce 10 Players to Return for 2019 USL Championship Season
- Los Zorros, Club Leon Play to Draw in International Friendly