Republic FC Defeat Club America U-20 in An International Friendly
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Early strikes from Ray Saari and Stefano Bonomo lifted Republic FC to a 2-0 international friendly win over Club America U-20 on Tuesday night at Papa Murphy's Park.
Republic FC opened the score in the sixth minute off a Keven Aleman corner kick when Stefano Bonomo's close range effort, initially saved by the Club America goalkeeper, fell directly to Ray Saari who smashed his shot into the back of the net from close range.
The hosts then doubled their lead in the 15th minute when a nifty give-and-go between Bonomo and Cameron Iwasa allowed the Sacramento-native to find some space on the right wing and carefully pick out his target. Iwasa placed a low ball from the right flank directly across the face of goal and found Bonomo at the far post who tapped home SRFC's second goal on the evening.
SRFC goalkeeper Rafael Diaz managed to keep the clean sheet intact with a fingertip save close to the hour mark of the match. The former New York Red Bulls player made a diving save to his right when a dipping shot from outside the box called the Dominican into action. The save solidified both the win and the shutout for the boys in Old Glory Red.
Republic FC return to league play on Saturday, July 20, with a visit to Rio Grande Valley Toros FC. Kickoff is at 5:30 p.m. and the match will be broadcast live on KQCA My58, Estrella TV and ESPN+.
Sacramento Republic FC 2-0 Club America U-20
Papa Murphy's Park - Sacramento, CA
July 16, 2019 - Attendance: 5,821
Republic FC starting XI: Rafael Diaz, Shannon Gomez, Dekel Keinan, Hayden Sargis, Elliott Hord, Mario Penagos, Drew Skundrich, Ray Saari, Keven Alamen, Stefano Bonomo, Cameron Iwasa.
Club America U-20 starting XI: Luis Zamuido, Ramon Juarez, Jorge Gomez, Diego Robledo, Luis Tinajero, Edder Vargas, Jesus Quintero, Israel Garcia, Paolo Rios, Morrison Palma, Arturo Sanchez.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 17, 2019
- Nashville SC Takes Second In-State Derby 2-0 over Memphis 901 - Nashville SC
- Loudoun United Fall 3-0 on the Road against North Carolina FC - Loudoun United FC
- North Carolina FC Turns in Complete Performance in 3-0 Win over Loudoun United - North Carolina FC
- Independence Transfer Midfielder Maria - Charlotte Independence
- Lineup Notes: Nashville SC at Memphis 901 FC - Nashville SC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Teams up with Creative Kids El Paso for Gameday Poster Series - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Riverhounds SC, Allegheny Health Network to Break Ground on Health & Sports Complex - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Nashville SC to Bring Pop-Up Pitch to Mill Creek Brewing Nolensville this Saturday - Nashville SC
- Loudoun United FC Acquire Midfielder Carlos Alvarez for the Remainder of the 2019 Season - Loudoun United FC
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 20 - USL
- How to Follow: Nashville SC at Memphis 901 FC - Nashville SC
- Bethlehem Steel FC Signs Academy Product Cole Turner - Philadelphia Union II
- Republic FC Defeat Club America U-20 in An International Friendly - Sacramento Republic FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Returning for 2021: Wheeler-Omiunu Bringing Some Bite to SRFC Midfield
- Around the Leagues: Holiday Weekend Showcasing Great Slate of Soccer
- Returning for 2021: Villarreal Patrols, Protects Central Pitch
- Team Store Website to Help with Holiday Gift Needs
- Returning for 2021: Diaz's Calming Presence Anchors the Defense