Bethlehem Steel FC Signs Academy Product Cole Turner
CHESTER, Pa. - Bethlehem Steel FC announced today that the club has signed Academy Product Cole Turner to a USL Championship contract for the remainder of 2019. The deal is pending league and federation approval.
Additionally, the 18-year-old midfielder has also signed a pre-contract with the Philadelphia Union, which will take effect on January 1, 2020. At that time, Turner is slated to become the 11th Homegrown Player in Union history.
Turner becomes one of six current Academy Products signed to the Steel FC roster, while the Union first team also has six Homegrown Players, totaling 12 players from the Union Academy currently signed to professional contracts within the organization.
"We are very happy to have completed the signing of Cole Turner," said Union Sporting Director Ernst Tanner. "He has a strong knowledge of the game and a sharp awareness - the type of player who always seems to be in the right position in central midfield. He is an exciting young prospect and we are looking forward to helping him grow as a professional."
Turner spent three years in the Philadelphia Union Academy's Residency Program and played with the Academy's U13/14, U16/17 and U18/19 squads. Over the course of his time with the Academy, he made 65 appearances, 52 starts and scored eight goals. Turner joined Steel FC at the club's preseason-training camp in Clearwater, Florida prior to this season.
Turner has gained experience with Steel FC while playing for the club on an academy contract. He has started in seven of the Steel's matches so far this season, making a total of 10 appearances, while providing one assist. Turner recorded his first assist for Steel FC in the club's 3-0 win over Hartford Athletic on June 28. Internationally, the midfielder has also received a call-up from the United States Under-14 Boys' National Team.
TRANSACTION: Bethlehem Steel FC signs midfielder Cole Turner on July 17, 2019; Turner also signs a pre-contract with Philadelphia Union, effective 1/1/20.
Name: Cole Turner
Hometown: Churchville, Md.
Born: July 7, 2001
Citizenship: United States
Acquired: Bethlehem Steel FC signs midfielder Cole Turner on July 17, 2019; Turner also signs a pre-contract with Philadelphia Union, effective 1/1/20
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 17, 2019
- Nashville SC Takes Second In-State Derby 2-0 over Memphis 901 - Nashville SC
- Loudoun United Fall 3-0 on the Road against North Carolina FC - Loudoun United
- North Carolina FC Turns in Complete Performance in 3-0 Win over Loudoun United - North Carolina FC
- Independence Transfer Midfielder Maria - Charlotte Independence
- Lineup Notes: Nashville SC at Memphis 901 FC - Nashville SC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Teams up with Creative Kids El Paso for Gameday Poster Series - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Riverhounds SC, Allegheny Health Network to Break Ground on Health & Sports Complex - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Nashville SC to Bring Pop-Up Pitch to Mill Creek Brewing Nolensville this Saturday - Nashville SC
- Loudoun United FC Acquire Midfielder Carlos Alvarez for the Remainder of the 2019 Season - Loudoun United
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 20 - USL
- How to Follow: Nashville SC at Memphis 901 FC - Nashville SC
- Bethlehem Steel FC Signs Academy Product Cole Turner - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Republic FC Defeat Club America U-20 in An International Friendly - Sacramento Republic FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bethlehem Steel FC Stories
- Steel FC's Morton Earns USL Championship Team of the Week Honors
- Steel FC remains undefeated in regular-season play at Nashville
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Travels for Match against Nashville Sc
- Morton Makes Eight Saves in Loss
- Bethlehem Steel FC Acquires Goalkeeper Todd Morton