North Carolina FC Turns in Complete Performance in 3-0 Win over Loudoun United
Cary, N.C. - North Carolina FC remained near the top of the USL Championship Eastern Conference and continued its terrific home form with a 3-0 victory over Loudoun United Wednesday night at Sahlen's Stadium at WakeMed Soccer Park.
With the win, NCFC (9W-3L-7D, 34 points) stayed in fourth place and is now even on points with third-place Indy Eleven. The victory was NCFC's fifth at its home field in league action, as it remained unbeaten in Cary this season (5W-0L-4D).
Forward Robert Kristo scored in the first half on a well-worked free kick to give NCFC the lead at halftime, and a second-half brace by forward Yamikani Chester secured victory for the home side.
"Obviously a good result," NCFC head coach Dave Sarachan said. "Getting a clean sheet is a big deal, so that was important. I thought some new faces that saw the field tonight stood up and did well."
It didn't take long for NCFC to get going offensively, and the first real opportunity of the night came when midfielder Steven Miller drew a foul a few yards removed from the 18-yard box. The subsequent free kick was taken by Kristo, who made the most of the opportunity and perfectly placed a curler into the left corner of the net for his third goal of the season.
NCFC continued to generate scoring opportunities as the game progressed and limited Loudoun United thanks to goalkeeper Darrin MacLeod, who made three saves in his third start in league play.
With his team ahead 1-0 after 45 minutes, Sarachan decided to insert Chester into the match coming out of halftime, and the Malawi international reciprocated with two goals in quick succession.
Already with a goal to his name, Kristo added an assist in the 72nd minute, playing in the lightning-quick Chester, who easily slotted his effort past Loudoun United goalkeeper Calle Brown.
Not long after, Chester struck again in the 74th minute with a brilliant individual effort. Having dispossessed an opponent in the midfield, Chester made a run on goal, shook off a tackle from a defender and fired from well beyond the area for his fifth goal of the season and his second of the night.
Having taken full control of the match, NCFC saw out the result from then on, securing its eighth shutout of the season.
Fact To Know
Yamikani Chester is the first NCFC player this season to score twice in the same half.
- NCFC improved to 5W-0L-4D at home this season and is one of three teams in the USL Championship Eastern Conference to have avoided defeat at its home ground this season.
- Yamikani Chester now has the second-most goals on the team (five, tied with Steven Miller) after his two-goal performance. Chester became the second NCFC player to record a brace in league action this season, joining Dre Fortune.
- NCFC's youth-to-pro pipeline illustrated on Wednesday, as NCFC Academy products DJ Taylor and Caleb Duvernay were named in the starting lineup, as was former NCFC U23 standout Nazmi Albadawi. Dre Fortune, a former NCFC Academy standout, was used as a substitute.
-Between league and Open Cup play, NCFC is now 4W-0L-0D when coming off a loss.
- Darrin MacLeod earned his second clean sheet of the season. As a team, NCFC has eight shutouts in 2019.
- Duval Wapiwo made his USL Championship debut, starting in the NCFC midfielder. The 19-year-old Cameroonian played the full 90 minutes.
NCFC hits the road and visits Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC on Saturday, July 20, at 7 p.m. ET. The two teams split the regular-season series in 2018, with the home side winning each time. NCFC returns to Sahlen's Stadium at WakeMed Soccer Park when it hosts Atlanta United 2 on Saturday, July 27, at 7 p.m. ET. For tickets and information please visit NorthCarolinaFC.com or call the Coastal Credit Union Box Office at 919-459-8144.
NCFC (4-2-3-1): Darrin MacLeod; Caleb Duvernay (Victor Igbekoyi, 35'), Sam Brotherton, Aaron Guillen, DJ Taylor; Duval Wapiwo, Nazmi Albadawi; Donovan Ewolo (Yamikani Chester, 46'), Ben Speas (Dre Fortune, 80'), Steven Miller ©; Robert Kristo
Subs not used: Alex Tambakis, Timmy Mehl, Austin Panchot, Graham Smith
LDN (4-5-1): Calle Brown; Akeem Ward, Allexon Saravia, Harri Hawkins, Peabo Doue; Nelson Martinez, Moses Nyeman, Antonio Bustamante (Carlos Alvarez, 55'), Connor Presley (Ted Ku-DiPietro, 66'), Orlando Sinclair (Christian Sorto, 55'); Kyle Murphy ©
Subs not used: Colin Miller, Collin Verfurth, Jeremy Garay, John Murphy,
NCFC: Robert Kristo (unassisted, 10'), Yamikani Chester (Robert Kristo, 72', unassisted, 74')
NCFC: Duval Wapiwo 65'
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 17, 2019
- Nashville SC Takes Second In-State Derby 2-0 over Memphis 901 - Nashville SC
- Loudoun United Fall 3-0 on the Road against North Carolina FC - Loudoun United FC
- North Carolina FC Turns in Complete Performance in 3-0 Win over Loudoun United - North Carolina FC
- Independence Transfer Midfielder Maria - Charlotte Independence
- Lineup Notes: Nashville SC at Memphis 901 FC - Nashville SC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Teams up with Creative Kids El Paso for Gameday Poster Series - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Riverhounds SC, Allegheny Health Network to Break Ground on Health & Sports Complex - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Nashville SC to Bring Pop-Up Pitch to Mill Creek Brewing Nolensville this Saturday - Nashville SC
- Loudoun United FC Acquire Midfielder Carlos Alvarez for the Remainder of the 2019 Season - Loudoun United FC
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 20 - USL
- How to Follow: Nashville SC at Memphis 901 FC - Nashville SC
- Bethlehem Steel FC Signs Academy Product Cole Turner - Philadelphia Union II
- Republic FC Defeat Club America U-20 in An International Friendly - Sacramento Republic FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent North Carolina FC Stories
- Ben Speas to Retire After a Nine-Year Professional Soccer Career
- North Carolina Football Club Partners with Reed and Feed and NCFC Youth for Food Drive
- North Carolina Football Club to Hold Virtual Ticket 'Pitch-In' Campaign for Bucy Foundation Mini-Pitch Project
- Dahlkemper, Dunn, and Williams Named to 27-Player Roster for First U.S. Women's National Team Training Camp in Seven Months
- North Carolina FC's Youth to Pro Pipeline Comes to Light as Dre Fortune Highlights 2020 NCFC Team Awards as Most Valuable Player