Republic FC Come-From-Behind to Pick up a Point against LA Galaxy II
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Republic FC came-from-behind late in the second half to draw 2-2 with LA Galaxy II at Papa Murphy's Park on Wednesday night to pick up a priceless point.
The result moves Simon Elliott's men into sixth place with 45 points from 31 games and are still very much in the conversation for the fourth and final playoff-hosting seed.
The boys in Old Glory Red struck first in the 20th minute when midfielder Keven Aleman outmuscled a Los Dos defender for possession and surged upfield with the ball before trying to pick out Thomas Enevoldsen. Galaxy II defender Tomas Hilliard-Arce got a touch on Aleman's pass but the Los Dos captain nudged the ball directly into the path of the Danish striker who tucked his curling effort from distance just inside the far post with his first touch. The goal was Enevoldsen's seventh score in nine games with SRFC.
The visitors would equalize in the 37th minute through Ethan Zubak after a well-struck right-footed effort from Justin Fiddes was saved by a diving Bobby Shuttleworth. The stellar save happened to fall directly to a wide open Zubak who buried his close-range shot.
In the 72nd minute, Los Dos took a 2-1 lead when LA midfielder Jose Hernandez's misfired shot rolled directly to the feet of Mohammed Kamara who slammed his shot into the roof of the net.
Down by one and in the 89th minute, Republic FC continued pushing forward and were rewarded handsomely by way of a Matt Mahoney header. Enevoldsen whipped in a right-footed cross that Mitchell Taintor nodded back across the face of goal. A diving Mahoney met Taintor's header with a header of his own and powered it past the LA goalkeeper to level the score 2-2.
A pair of red cards were handed out to Taintor and LA's Augustine Williams deep into extra time after the SRFC defender made a diving tackle to prevent a Los Dos breakaway.
Next up for the Indomitable Club is a trip to Tulsa Roughnecks FC on Saturday, October 5 with kickoff set for 5 p.m. PT.
Sacramento Republic FC 2-2 LA Galaxy II
USL Championship Match
Papa Murphy's Park, Sacramento, California
October 2, 2019 - Attendance: 9,324
Scoring Summary: SAC - Thomas Enevoldsen 20, Matt Mahoney 89; LA - Ethan Zubak 37, Mohammed Kamara (Jose Hernandez) 72.
Misconduct Summary: LA - Justin Fiddes (caution) 8, Nate Schultz (caution) 32, Augustine Williams (caution) 77, Augustine Williams (dissent) 90; SAC - Mitchell Taintor (red card) 90, Thomas Enevoldsen (dissent) 90.
Sacramento Republic FC - Bobby Shuttleworth; Jordan McCrary, Matt Mahoney, Charalampos Chantzopoulos, Juan Barahona (Mitchell Taintor 56); Jaime Villarreal, Keven Aleman, (Villyan Bijev 73), Dariusz Formella (Sam Werner 62), Drew Skundrich; Thomas Enevoldsen, Cameron Iwasa.
Subs Not Used: Rafael Diaz, Dekel Keinan, Hayden Partain, Stefano Bonomo.
Stats - Shots: 21, Shots on Goal: 4, Saves: 1, Fouls: 14, Corner Kicks: 8, Offsides: 0.
LA Galaxy II - Eric Lopez; Justin Fiddes, Nicholas DePuy, Nate Shultz, Tomas Hilliard-Arce; Adam Saldana (Jose Hernandez 58), Jorge Hernandez, Omar Ontiveros, Mohammed Kamara; Kai Koreniuk (Ivan Gutierrez 82), Ethan Zubak (Augustine Williams 76).
Subs Not Used: Abraham Romero, Mauricio Cuevas, Abdalla Shaibu, Brian Iloski.
Stats - Shots: 14, Shots on Goal: 3, Saves: 2, Fouls: 18, Corner Kicks: 9, Offsides: 3.
Images from this story
Sacramento Republic FC celebrate a goal against LA Galaxy II
Sacramento Republic FC with possession against LA Galaxy II
Sacramento Republic FC forward Cameron Iwasa against LA Galaxy II
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 3, 2019
- Match Preview vs. San Antonio FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. Atlanta United 2 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Nashville SC Participating in Nashtoberfest in Richland Park this Saturday - Nashville SC
- Memphis 901 FC to Appear at A-Maize-Ing Mid-South Corn Maze - Memphis 901 FC
- Paradela Called up to Cuban National Team - Reno 1868 FC
- Nashville SC Participating in Celebrate Nashville Cultural Festival this Saturday at Centennial Park - Nashville SC
- Playoff Tickets Go on Sale October 5th as Orange County SC Gets Playoff Ready - Orange County SC
- San Antonio FC Travels to Face Las Vegas Lights FC as Playoff Push Continues - San Antonio FC
- North Carolina FC to Celebrate Career of Captain Austin da Luz on October 19 against Saint Louis FC - North Carolina FC
- Enzo Martinez Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Charlotte Independence
- Independence Paint the Pitch Pink with Kick Breast Cancer Night Presented by Novant Health - Charlotte Independence
- Matt Real Named to USL Championship's 20 Under 20 - Philadelphia Union II
- LouCity Battles for Playoff Positioning - Louisville City FC
- Championship Look Ahead - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Republic FC Come-From-Behind to Pick up a Point against LA Galaxy II - Sacramento Republic FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Get Three Points at Home After Toppling Number Two Fresno - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Fresno FC Drops Road Match at El Paso - Fresno FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Republic FC Signs Academy Standouts Mario Penagos and Hayden Sargis to First Professional Contracts
- Republic FC Announce Full USL Championship Schedule
- Republic FC Sign Tomas Hilliard-Arce
- Republic FC to Host Job Fair for 2020 United Soccer League Season
- Statement from Republic FC on Passing of Andrew C. Burkle