San Antonio FC Travels to Face Las Vegas Lights FC as Playoff Push Continues
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC (11-12-8) will travel to face Las Vegas Lights FC (10-13-8) at Cashman Field on Saturday, Oct. 5 at 9:30 p.m. as the club looks to secure a playoff berth with just three matches remaining in the regular season.
SAFC heads into the match after earning a 2-1 win at home against second-place Fresno FC with goals from midfielder Walter Restrepo and defender Moises Hernandez, which earned the club a crucial three points to put them in 10th place and just above the playoff line. With a win on Saturday, the Alamo City club could climb as high as eighth place pending results around the league.
With the win against Fresno, SAFC is now 8-1-3 when scoring the first goal in a match and 8-0-1 when scoring in both halves. Forward Ever Guzman will look to score his fifth goal against the Lights in just four matchups should he play in the match, while on the defensive end SAFC goalkeeper Matthew Cardone continues to build on his good form after recording a career-high 84 saves so far in 2019.
Las Vegas will look to earn its second consecutive win after beating Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC 3-1 on the road on Saturday. The Lights are currently in 13th place in the Western Conference standings and continue to fight to stay alive in the playoff race. The Nevada club has lost just three matches this season when playing at home.
SAFC is 3-0-0 all-time against the Lights, most recently earning a 3-1 victory against the club at Toyota Field on April 6. The Alamo City club also earned a pair of 3-1 wins against Las Vegas in their two matchups during the 2018 campaign.
Heading into this weekend's contests, only five points separate 11th place from fourth place in the standings. Following the match at Cashman Field on Saturday, San Antonio FC will travel to face Portland Timbers 2 on Oct. 12 before returning to Toyota Field on Oct. 19 as the club hosts Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC in the team's final match of the regular season.
USL Championship Game 32 - San Antonio FC at Las Vegas Lights FC
Date: Saturday, Oct. 5, 2019
Kickoff: 9:30 p.m. CT
Stadium: Cashman Field
San Antonio FC: 11-12-8 (10th, 41 pts)
Las Vegas Lights FC: 10-13-8, (13th, 38 pts)
All-time Series: The game marks the fourth matchup between the two clubs. SAFC is 3-0-0 all-time against Las Vegas and 1-0-0 when facing them at Cashman Field.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 3, 2019
- Match Preview vs. San Antonio FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. Atlanta United 2 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Nashville SC Participating in Nashtoberfest in Richland Park this Saturday - Nashville SC
- Memphis 901 FC to Appear at A-Maize-Ing Mid-South Corn Maze - Memphis 901 FC
- Paradela Called up to Cuban National Team - Reno 1868 FC
- Nashville SC Participating in Celebrate Nashville Cultural Festival this Saturday at Centennial Park - Nashville SC
- Playoff Tickets Go on Sale October 5th as Orange County SC Gets Playoff Ready - Orange County SC
- San Antonio FC Travels to Face Las Vegas Lights FC as Playoff Push Continues - San Antonio FC
- North Carolina FC to Celebrate Career of Captain Austin da Luz on October 19 against Saint Louis FC - North Carolina FC
- Enzo Martinez Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Charlotte Independence
- Independence Paint the Pitch Pink with Kick Breast Cancer Night Presented by Novant Health - Charlotte Independence
- Matt Real Named to USL Championship's 20 Under 20 - Philadelphia Union II
- LouCity Battles for Playoff Positioning - Louisville City FC
- Championship Look Ahead - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Republic FC Come-From-Behind to Pick up a Point against LA Galaxy II - Sacramento Republic FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Get Three Points at Home After Toppling Number Two Fresno - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Fresno FC Drops Road Match at El Paso - Fresno FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC Forward Jose Gallegos Named Finalist for USL Championship Young Player of the Year
- San Antonio FC Eliminated from Playoffs After Extra Time Goal for New Mexico
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC vs. New Mexico United
- San Antonio FC Falls 1-2 to Austin Bold in Final Match of Regular Season
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC at Austin Bold FC