Fresno FC Drops Road Match at El Paso
EL PASO, Texas - Fresno FC (16-7-8) dropped a 2-1 decision at El Paso on Wednesday, prolonging the Foxes' chances of locking up home-field advantage through the Western Conference quarterfinals.
Juan Pablo Caffa sparked a potential comeback with his free-kick goal at the 66th minute that leveled the score at 1-1 at Southwest University Park. But it was the hosts who had the final say, finding a stoppage-time game-winner when Jerome Kiesewetter followed up a rebound inside the six-yard box.
The opening 45 minutes went without a goal and just one shot on goal between the two sides with Jaime Chavez firing a long-range shot at the 42nd minute.
After the break, El Paso grabbed the lead on 53rd minute when Chiro N'Toko knocked in a loose ball at the 18 from a corner kick.
Caffa, who entered as a halftime substitute for Chavez, brought life to the Foxes' attack by completing 89% of his passes and nailing the equalizer after he was fouled entering the final third by El Paso's Sebastian Contreras.
Tied 1-1, Caffa nearly produced a game-winner on another set piece, when his service found Jems Geffrard in the penalty area. Geffrard's header missed left of the target.
Goalkeeper CJ Cochran had two saves, including a finger-tip save near the start of the second half.
Los Zorros return to the San Joaquin Valley for their final two home matches of the regular season, hosting Tacoma Defiance this Saturday, Oct. 5 and then LA Galaxy II on Oct. 12. Fresno is unbeaten in their last 11 matches at Chukchansi Park, and is 10-1-4 overall in home matches this season. Tickets for both matches are on sale now at FresnoFC.com and at the Chukchansi Park box office.
EL MEXICANO MAN OF THE MATCH: JUAN PABLO CAFFA, M
Caffa entered the match as a halftime substitute and immediately had his impact felt, scoring an equaliser and completing 89% of his passes.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 3, 2019
- Match Preview vs. San Antonio FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. Atlanta United 2 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Nashville SC Participating in Nashtoberfest in Richland Park this Saturday - Nashville SC
- Memphis 901 FC to Appear at A-Maize-Ing Mid-South Corn Maze - Memphis 901 FC
- Paradela Called up to Cuban National Team - Reno 1868 FC
- Nashville SC Participating in Celebrate Nashville Cultural Festival this Saturday at Centennial Park - Nashville SC
- Playoff Tickets Go on Sale October 5th as Orange County SC Gets Playoff Ready - Orange County SC
- San Antonio FC Travels to Face Las Vegas Lights FC as Playoff Push Continues - San Antonio FC
- North Carolina FC to Celebrate Career of Captain Austin da Luz on October 19 against Saint Louis FC - North Carolina FC
- Enzo Martinez Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Charlotte Independence
- Independence Paint the Pitch Pink with Kick Breast Cancer Night Presented by Novant Health - Charlotte Independence
- Matt Real Named to USL Championship's 20 Under 20 - Philadelphia Union II
- LouCity Battles for Playoff Positioning - Louisville City FC
- Championship Look Ahead - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Republic FC Come-From-Behind to Pick up a Point against LA Galaxy II - Sacramento Republic FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Get Three Points at Home After Toppling Number Two Fresno - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Fresno FC Drops Road Match at El Paso - Fresno FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno FC Stories
- Fresno Football Club Issues Official Statement
- No. 3 Fresno FC vs. No. 6 El Paso Locomotive FC Playoff Preview
- Nine-Man Foxes Side Falls at Orange County to End Regular Season
- Zorros Draw 2-2 with La Galaxy II on Stand up 2 Cancer Night
- Fresno FC vs. LA Galaxy II Preview