Reign Turn Up The Heat With Two Home Games
ONTARIO, Calif. - The Ontario Reign head to Phoenix to face-off against the Roadrunners in the final match of a 3-game road series on Wednesday at US Airways Center. The Reign return home on Friday and Saturday as they take on the Utah Grizzlies in a back-to-back homestand at Citizens Business Bank Arena with both matches beginning at 7 p.m. Saturday, January 17, is the Reign's first bobblehead giveaway, where the first 5,000 fans in attendance will receive a bobblehead featuring the Dragon Mascot! In addition, at 3 p.m. the Reign will host a charity hockey game featuring the Ontario and New York Fire Departments as they bring the fire to the ice to help raise funds for the Muscular Dystrophy Fund and CCHS.
Overall Record: 19-14-1-1 (40 points)
Home Record: 10-7-1-0 (21 points)
Away Record: 9-7-0-1 (19 points)
Wednesday, January 14 - Ontario Reign at Phoenix Roadrunners - 6:05 p.m. (PST)
Friday, January 16 - Ontario Reign vs. Utah Grizzlies - 7 p.m.
Saturday, January 17 - Ontario Reign vs. Utah Grizzlies - 7 p.m.
*All games are viewable online on B2 networks, or fans can listen to the game online by clicking on the "Listen" link in the Game Center section of www.ontarioreign.com.
Saturday, January 17 - The Ontario Reign is hosting the first-annual "Fire On Ice" Charity Hockey game at Citizens Business Bank Arena, as the Ontario Fire Department takes on the New York Fire Department to help raise money for the Muscular Dystrophy Fund and the CCHS organization. The puck drops for the charity game at 3 p.m., prior to the Reign vs. Grizzlies game at 7 p.m. Tickets are only $10 and gains fans admission to both games that day! Four dollars from each ticket sold will be donated to the MDF and CCHS. The Muscular Dystrophy Association will be on hand selling t-shirts and fans will have the opportunity to win a 52-inch LCD television during the 50/50 raffle at the Reign game. The $10 ticket offer is good through Friday, January 16 and must be purchased in advance via the Reign front office by calling (909) 941-7809. The special ticket offer is not available at the Citizens Business Bank Arena box office.
Saturday, January 17 - Saturday is also the first bobblehead giveaway of the season! The first 5,000 fans at the Reign vs. Grizzlies match up will receive a Reign bobblehead featuring the Dragon mascot! In addition, the winner of the "Name the Mascot" contest will be announced and the dragon will receive his name!
LAST WEEK'S GAMES
Wednesday, January 7 - Ontario Reign vs. Alaska Aces (L, 2-3)
The Alaska Aced defeated the Reign Wednesday evening, 3-2, in front 4,345 fans at Citizens Business Bank Arena. Alaska opened the match with a pair of back-to-back goals in the first period to take the early, 2-0, lead. Reign forward Dale Reinhardt brought the Reign within one, lighting the lamp after making a diving save to poke his own rebound past Alaska goaltender Jean-Philippe Lamoureux. Early in the third period, the Reign took advantage of a power play as left wing Todd Jackson netted his seventh goal of the season at the 2:08 mark to tie the match, 2-2. Alaska scored the go-ahead goal with 59-seconds remaining in the match to make the score, 3-2. The Reign pulled John Murray from the net with 26-seconds remaining in regulation for the extra attacker, but were unable to find the net, ending the match with a final score of Reign 2, Aces 3.
Friday, January 9 - Ontario Reign at Victoria Salmon Kings (L, 2-5)
The Reign fell to the Salmon Kings, 5-2, Wednesday evening before 5,573 at Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre in Victoria, B.C. The Salmon Kings scored three goals in less than two minutes in the first period to take the early lead, 3-0, lead. The Reign found the back of the net twice in the second period to come within one of Victoria, 3-2. Right wing Geoff Walker put the Reign on the board at 13:08 in the stanza, off an assist from left wing Chris Curran, netting his 11th goal of the season. Left wing Todd Jackson extended his goal streak to 3-games as he netted a goal at 18:19, of an assist from right wing Brad Mehalko, to make the score, 3-2. While serving two minor penalties, the Reign pulled goaltender John Murray for an additional player late in the third period, as Victoria skated on the power play. The Salmon Kings scored on the empty net twice, ending the match with a final score Salmon Kings 5, Reign 2, and extending the Salmon Kings winning streak to 14 games.
Saturday, January 10 - Ontario Reign at Victoria Salmon Kings (L, 2-5)
The Reign dropped their final game in a back-to-back series against the Victoria Salmon Kings in Victoria, B.C. on Saturday evening, before a crowd of 6,083 at Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre. Right wing Itan Chavira opened up the scoring with a power play goal in the first period, netting his first professional goal at 5:20 in the stanza. Defensemen P.J. Atherton and Shawn Germain registered the assists sending Ontario into the second with a, 1-0, lead. Victoria netted four consecutive goals in the second period to take a, 4-1, lead over the Reign. Early in the third period, left wing Chris Curran brought the Reign within two goals of the Salmon Kings, with right wing Geoff Walker and defenseman P.J. Atherton registering the assists on the play, to make the score, 4-2. Late in the period, the Reign pulled goaltender John Murray for the extra attacker, but Victoria flipped the puck into the empty Reign net, ending the match with a final score, Reign 2, Salmon Kings 5.
- Chris Curran extended his point streak to two games (1g, 1a = 2 points) (1/9/09-1/10/09)
- Geoff Walker extended his point streak to two games (1g, 1a = 2 points) (1/9/09-1/10/09)
- Goals - Jon Francisco (13)
- Assists -(tied) Tim Kraus (16), Geoff Walker (16)
- Points - Geoff Walker (27)
- PIM - David Walker (66)
- PPG - Jon Francisco (6)
- Wins - John Murray (11)
- GAA - John Murray (2.44)
- SVP -John Murray (0.928)
- Attendance - 5th (avg. 4,895)
- Shootouts (overall) - 3rd (.750)
- Power Play (overall) - 6th (.195)
- Power Play (home) - 4th (.195)
- Geoff Walker - 12th (rookie scoring) (27)
- Jon Francisco - 16th (tied) (power play goals) (6)
- Jon Francisco - 5th (tied) (game winning goals) (4)
- Jon Francisco - 8th (tied) (first goals) (4)
- John Murray - 10th (goals-against average) (2.44)
- John Murray - 4th (tied) (save percentage) (.928)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 13, 2009
- Reign Turn Up The Heat With Two Home Games - Ontario Reign
- AmeriServ Sellout Challenge Update - Johnstown Chiefs
- Bombers Take First Of Two At Elmira 6-3 - Dayton Bombers
- Big Saves Boost Bombers - Elmira Jackals
- Michael Ouzas Selected As Reebok ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Reading Royals
- Blades' Five-Goal Second Period Launches Them to 5th Straight Win - Florida Everblades
- Danny Taylor Recalled To Manchester - Reading Royals
- Checkers Have No Answer for Everblades Offense - Charlotte Checkers
- Aces Add Turek on Eve of Victoria Series - Alaska Aces
- Wheeling Nailers Sign Former NHL Goal Scorer - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Nastiuk called up to AHL Providence - Atlanta Gladiators
- McEwan Loaned To AHL Worcester - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Grizzlies Fan Potts Wins Trip To ECHL All-Star Game Presented By Guardian Wear - ECHL
- Reading's Ouzas Named Reebok ECHL Goaltender Of The Week - ECHL
- Guardian Wear Offers Limited-Edition All-Star T-Shirts - ECHL
- Fans ages 6-16 can register at Beef O'Brady's to interview their favorite player - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Bombers Trade Defenseman Wooddisse to Utah - Dayton Bombers
- Grizzlies Acquire Wooddisse From Dayton - Utah Grizzlies
- Blades Swap Players in Albany - Florida Everblades
- Wheeling Nailers Announce Youth Ski Cap Night - Wheeling Nailers
- B2 Networks Announces ECHL TV Schedule For Jan. 13-20 - ECHL
- ECHL Today January 13 - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.