McEwan Loaned To AHL Worcester
PHOENIX, Ariz. - The Phoenix RoadRunners of the ECHL, a proud affiliate of the San Jose Sharks and the Worcester Sharks, announced today that rookie forward James McEwan has signed a profession try-out agreement with Worcester of the American Hockey League.
McEwan, 21, earns his first career call-up to the AHL after leading the RoadRunners with 13 fighting majors and 116 penalty minutes in 22 games this season.
McEwan served as captain of the Kelowna Rockets of the Western Hockey League last season while collecting two goals, six points, and 93 penalty minutes in 37 games. The Kelowna, British Columbia native became just the fourth Kelowna-born captain in the Rockets' 13-year history at the start of the season, but missed 25 games due to a wrist injury. McEwan led the Rockets and finished fourth in the WHL with a career-high 202 penalty minutes in 2006-07. He finished a four-year major junior career with seven goals, 10 assists, 17 points, and 540 penalty minutes in 208 games.
In a separate transaction, the Worcester Sharks have assigned rookie forward P.J. Fenton to the RoadRunners. Fenton, 23, has one goal and seven points in 30 games with the Sharks this season. The Springfield, Mass. native served as an assistant captain last season at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst and tallied nine goals and a career-best 28 points in 36 games to finish third on the Minutemen in scoring.
Fenton signed an amateur try-out contract with San Jose on April 1, 2008 and was assigned to Worcester where he appeared in four regular season games. Fenton finished a four-year collegiate career at Massachusetts-Amherst with 37 goals, 58 assists, and 95 points in 148 games. He was selected by San Jose in Round Five (#163 overall) at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.
The RoadRunners return to US Airways Center at 7:05 p.m. Wednesday to close out a five-game home-stand against the Ontario Reign.
Great seats are still available beginning as low as $8 and can be purchased by calling Ticketmaster at (480) 784-4444, purchasing online ticketmaster.com or visiting the US Airways Center Box Office. Information on season tickets, half-season packages, and flex plans for the 2008-09 season of Phoenix RoadRunners Hockey are available by calling (602) 462-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 13, 2009
- Reign Turn Up The Heat With Two Home Games - Ontario Reign
- AmeriServ Sellout Challenge Update - Johnstown Chiefs
- Bombers Take First Of Two At Elmira 6-3 - Dayton Bombers
- Big Saves Boost Bombers - Elmira Jackals
- Michael Ouzas Selected As Reebok ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Reading Royals
- Blades' Five-Goal Second Period Launches Them to 5th Straight Win - Florida Everblades
- Danny Taylor Recalled To Manchester - Reading Royals
- Checkers Have No Answer for Everblades Offense - Charlotte Checkers
- Aces Add Turek on Eve of Victoria Series - Alaska Aces
- Wheeling Nailers Sign Former NHL Goal Scorer - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Nastiuk called up to AHL Providence - Atlanta Gladiators
- McEwan Loaned To AHL Worcester - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Grizzlies Fan Potts Wins Trip To ECHL All-Star Game Presented By Guardian Wear - ECHL
- Reading's Ouzas Named Reebok ECHL Goaltender Of The Week - ECHL
- Guardian Wear Offers Limited-Edition All-Star T-Shirts - ECHL
- Fans ages 6-16 can register at Beef O'Brady's to interview their favorite player - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Bombers Trade Defenseman Wooddisse to Utah - Dayton Bombers
- Grizzlies Acquire Wooddisse From Dayton - Utah Grizzlies
- Blades Swap Players in Albany - Florida Everblades
- Wheeling Nailers Announce Youth Ski Cap Night - Wheeling Nailers
- B2 Networks Announces ECHL TV Schedule For Jan. 13-20 - ECHL
- ECHL Today January 13 - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.