RedHawks Walk off Goldeyes for Third Consecutivewin
FARGO, N.D. - After a back and forth nine-inning battle, the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks vanquished the Winnipeg Goldeyes on a walk-off sacrifice fly from Keury De La Cruz that scored Brennan Metzger to secure a 7-6 win. The RedHawks gain sole possession of second place in the North Division thanks to the Railcats' loss at Sioux Falls.
A blown save opportunity for Randy McCurry with a 6-4 lead in the top of the ninth turned out to be a non-issue after the RedHawks needed only four batters to get the winning run in the bottom half of the inning. McCurry got the win despite giving up a two-run home run to Tommy Mendonca in the ninth. Pete Perez was credited with the loss for the Goldeyes.
D.J. Brown matched his season-high in runs against with four on five hits in 6.1 innings. Brown walked three and remained at 5-0 for the season. The Norfolk, VA resident's ERA climbs to 3.07 on the season.
Devan Ahart hit a two-run home run to center field in the fourth inning and dazzled the crowd at Newman Outdoor Field with a diving catch off the bat of Reggie Abercrombie in the seventh that saved at least two runs from scoring.
Ahart's homer put the RedHawks up 4-3 after the Goldeyes put up three runs in the second inning - two of which came on the first of Mendonca's two two-run home runs - to take the early lead.
After Winnipeg tied the game at four runs apiece in the seventh, RBI singles from Maikol Gonzalez and Steve Zimmerman put the RedHawks back in front with a 6-4 lead. Mendonca's two-run jack in the ninth made things interesting, but in the end, it was the third straight win for Fargo-Moorhead.
With Gary's loss in Sioux Falls, the RedHawks (24-22) sit in sole possession of second place in the North Division. Fargo-Moorhead remains a half game back of the St. Paul Saints (25-22) for the division lead.
The three-game winning streak matches the season high for the RedHawks. F-M clinched its eighth series win tonight and will look for just its second sweep of the season tomorrow afternoon against the Goldeyes. The start time for the Sunday afternoon matinee is scheduled for 1:00 PM.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 7, 2018
- Pigs Do Fly, T-Bones Fall in Final Game of the Series against Texas - Kansas City T-Bones
- X's Stumble in Ninth Fall to Wichita - Sioux City Explorers
- Wichita Ninth Inning Comeback Stuns Explorers - Wichita Wingnuts
- Texas Closes Series with Comeback Win vs. T-Bones - Texas AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Dogs Even Series with Cleburne on Game-Winning Wild Pitch - Chicago Dogs
- RedHawks Walk off Goldeyes for Third Consecutivewin - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Railroaders Rally But Fall in Game 2 to Dogs - Cleburne Railroaders
- Saltdogs Held to Two Hits in 3-1 Loss to Saints - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Gary Squanders 4-Run Lead, Loses Season-High Fourth Straight Game - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Pitching Performance That Is Second to Nunn, Saints Two-Hit Saltdogs in Snapping Five Game Home Losing Streak, 3-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Mendonca Homers Twice, But Goldeyes Edged in Ninth - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders Acquire Slugger Chase Simpson - Cleburne Railroaders
- Reds Purchase Contract of T-Bones Lefty Carlos Diaz - Kansas City T-Bones
- T-Bones Reach 30 Wins Under Texas Skies - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- RedHawks Outpower Winnipeg 9-1, Tied for Second in North - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Wingnuts Late Rally Falls Short - Wichita Wingnuts
- Five-Run Seventh Sinks AirHogs vs. Kansas City - Texas AirHogs
- X's Win Tenth Straight by Striking out Wingnuts - Sioux City Explorers
- Saltdogs Win Back-And-Forth Series Opener over Saints - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks Stories
- RedHawks and RailCats Game Postponed Due to Rain
- RedHawks Drop Second Game to Pesky RailCats
- RedHawks' Late Inning Comeback Falls Short against RailCats
- RedHawks' Tim Colwell Named Aa Pointstreak Player of the Week
- Solomon Shuts Down Goldeyes for Series Sweep