Mendonca Homers Twice, But Goldeyes Edged in Ninth
FARGO, ND - The Winnipeg Goldeyes (21-27) lost 7-6 to the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks at Newman Outdoor Field on Saturday evening.
Tied at 6-6 in the bottom of the ninth inning, Brennan Metzger drew a leadoff walk, stole second, and advanced to third when Leobaldo Pina reached on an error charged to Tommy Mendonca. After Steve Zimmerman popped out to shortstop, Keury de la Cruz lifted a sacrifice fly to deep centre that scored Metzger with the winning run.
The Goldeyes forced the final half inning when Mendonca crushed a two-out, two-run home run to right in the top of the ninth. The homer came two batters after Josh Romanski worked a full count walk to bring the tying run to the plate.
Winnipeg took a 3-0 lead with three runs in the top of the second. Reggie Abercrombie came back from an 0-2 count and lined a single to left on the eighth pitch of his at bat. Mendonca followed with a line drive, two-run homer to right. After RedHawks' starter DJ Brown retired the next two hitters, JJ Gould walked while Grant Heyman was hit by a pitch. Tucker Nathans then lined a two-out single to right that scored Gould with the Goldeyes' third run.
In the bottom of the second, de la Cruz doubled down the right field line and was driven home on a single up the middle from Chris Jacobs.
Tim Colwell tripled to right with one out in the third, and scored on a Maikol Gonzalez sacrifice fly to centre that cut the Goldeyes' lead to 3-2.
The RedHawks (24-22) took their first lead in the bottom of the fourth when Devan Ahart hit a two-out, two-run home run to left-centre.
The Goldeyes rallied to tie the game in the top of the seventh. Heyman singled through the right side with one out. After Andrew Woeck relieved Brown, Nathans singled to right. Two batters later, Romanski ripped a two-out, RBI single down the right field line that scored Heyman.
The RedHawks re-took the lead in the bottom of the frame. Colwell singled leading off, took third on an errant pickoff attempt, and scored on a Gonzalez single up the middle. Steve Zimmerman added an RBI single later in the inning to push Fargo's lead to 6-4.
Randy McCurry (3-2) picked up the win in relief for the RedHawks. Pete Perez (0-3) took the loss for the Goldeyes.
PJ Browne started for Winnipeg and took a no-decision, allowing two earned runs on four hits over three innings. Browne walked one and struck out none.
Brown also took a no-decision for the RedHawks, allowing four earned runs on five hits in six and one-third innings. Brown walked three and struck out none.
Cameron McVey pitched a scoreless relief inning for Winnipeg. Nathans finished with three hits.
The series concludes Sunday afternoon at 1:00 p.m. Shane Dawson (3-1, 3.57) faces left-hander Will Solomon (4-4, 4.09). All the action can be heard locally on 93.7 FM CJNU and worldwide at www.cjnu.ca
The Goldeyes return home on Monday when they host the Sioux Falls Canaries at 7:05 p.m. Tickets for all Goldeyes' home games are on sale now by visiting www.ticketmaster.ca/Goldeyes, or visiting any Ticketmaster location, including the box office at Shaw Park.
For information regarding Winnipeg Goldeyes' season tickets, 10-game mini packs, and group outings, call the Goldeyes' office at (204) 982-BASE, or visit the Goldeyes' official website at www.goldeyes.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 7, 2018
- Pigs Do Fly, T-Bones Fall in Final Game of the Series against Texas - Kansas City T-Bones
- X's Stumble in Ninth Fall to Wichita - Sioux City Explorers
- Wichita Ninth Inning Comeback Stuns Explorers - Wichita Wingnuts
- Texas Closes Series with Comeback Win vs. T-Bones - Texas AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Dogs Even Series with Cleburne on Game-Winning Wild Pitch - Chicago Dogs
- RedHawks Walk off Goldeyes for Third Consecutivewin - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Railroaders Rally But Fall in Game 2 to Dogs - Cleburne Railroaders
- Saltdogs Held to Two Hits in 3-1 Loss to Saints - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Gary Squanders 4-Run Lead, Loses Season-High Fourth Straight Game - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Pitching Performance That Is Second to Nunn, Saints Two-Hit Saltdogs in Snapping Five Game Home Losing Streak, 3-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Mendonca Homers Twice, But Goldeyes Edged in Ninth - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders Acquire Slugger Chase Simpson - Cleburne Railroaders
- Reds Purchase Contract of T-Bones Lefty Carlos Diaz - Kansas City T-Bones
- T-Bones Reach 30 Wins Under Texas Skies - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- RedHawks Outpower Winnipeg 9-1, Tied for Second in North - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Wingnuts Late Rally Falls Short - Wichita Wingnuts
- Five-Run Seventh Sinks AirHogs vs. Kansas City - Texas AirHogs
- X's Win Tenth Straight by Striking out Wingnuts - Sioux City Explorers
- Saltdogs Win Back-And-Forth Series Opener over Saints - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winnipeg Goldeyes Stories
- Goldeyes Announce Transactions
- Mazzola Reaches Career Milestone, Goldeyes Fall to Saints
- Charleston Breaks Appearances Record, Goldeyes Edged Late
- Bernardino Shines, Goldeyes Top Saints 5-2 in Series Opener
- Goldeyes Sweep RedHawks & Dominate in Season Closer at Shaw Park