RedHawks Game Notes
Oklahoma City RedHawks (27-21) at New Orleans Zephyrs (22-25)
Game 49 | May 30, 2010, 2:00 pm CDT | Zephyr Field | Metairie, LA
1340 Fox Sports, RedHawks Radio Network | Play-by-Play: Jim Byers
LH Michael Ballard (2-3, 5.25) vs. RH Jose Rosario (no record)
TODAY: The RedHawks and New Orleans Zephyrs meet in third of a 4-game series at Zephyr Field. The series is 1-1 after the RedHawks' 8-5 win last night. OKC maintains a half-game lead over Albuquerque in the American South. The RedHawks have had sole possession of first place since a win at Memphis April 16. With last night's win the RedHawks have more road wins (14) than home wins (13) in the same amount of games (24). OKC is 6-3 so far on the rain-shortened, 11-game trip. OKC lefty Michael Ballard gets the start against a collective bullpen effort for New Orleans headed by Jose Rosario.
OFFENSE RALLIES: The RedHawks overcame a 3-1 deficit after 5 innings last night to win 8-5. OKC hit its eighth and ninth home runs of the trip, as Ryan Garko led off the sixth with a homer to make the score 3-2. The RedHawks snapped Brett Sinkbeil's 15.1-inning scoreless streak in the seventh, tying the game 3-3 before Chris Davis belted a 3-run shot to give the RedHawks the lead for good. OKC's 13 hits were their most since a 15-hit showing May 11 vs. Sacramento. Esteban German contributed 3 hits, a walk and a stolen base.
BULLPEN REMAINS BULLISH: In the past 13 games, OKC's bullpen has logged 48.2 innings, allowing 8 earned runs (1.48 ERA) on 28 hits while going 3-1. The bullpen strung together a 24.2-inning scoreless streak (snapped May 22) during that span. Five of the 8 runs allowed during that span have come in the last 2 games.
ERA NO. 1: OKC leads the PCL in team ERA at 3.28. Fresno has the second best mark at 3.45. The RedHawks have allowed the fewest home runs (25) and earned runs (155), while yielding the second-lowest overall run total (183). OKC pitching has totaled the second-most strikeouts (359) behind Sacramento's 380.
DE-FENSE: The RedHawks are tied for fifth in team fielding percentage (.979) and have committed the fourth-fewest errors (37). The RedHawks are 16-8 when errorless and 11-13 when charged with a miscue. Second baseman Hernan Iribarren leads PCL second basemen with a .995 fielding percentage, 1 error in 193 total chances. Last night, Iribarren earned his second outfield assist in just his sixth start of the year in left field, throwing out Jason Lane at home in the fourth inning.
STROP STREAKING: OKC reliever Pedro Strop owns an 11-inning scoreless streak, during which he has allowed just 1 hit, a single by Javier Guzman Friday. Strop's scoreless streak has spanned all of his last 6 outings. He recently had a stretch of 24 consecutive retired batters covering all or part of his appearances from May 4-23. The consecutive retired batters streak was stopped on Sunday with a walk in Portland.
DROUGHT BREAKS: It rained during last night's game, meaning rain has fallen during play or affected pre-game work in 8 of the first 10 days of this trip. Four of the last 19 scheduled RedHawks playing dates have had postponements or cancellations because of rain. The RedHawks had no rainouts or rain delays in their first 31 scheduled dates this season. Seven rain delays have occurred during the trip (5 in Portland, 2 in Tacoma) totaling 8 hours and 26 minutes.
MIDDLE GROUND: The RedHawks are 5-8 in series openers and 4-8 in series finales, but are a combined 18-5 in Games 2 and 3 of a series.
BACK HOME: Esteban German leads the league lead with 38 runs scored. He snapped a stretch of no runs scored in 5 games last night. German is tied for second in the league with 18 stolen bases behind Sacramento's Corey Wimberley (21). Portland's Luis Durango also has 18.
INCIDENTAL INFORMATION: The RedHawks are 7-7 in day games and 3-3 on Sunday...Hernan Iribarren batted eighth last night, improving the RedHawks' record to 6-0 when he bats eighth.
Date Opponent Oklahoma City Pitcher Opposing Pitcher Radio
Monday May 31 @ N.O. RH Tommy Hunter 1-1, 2.91 TBA 1340 Fox Sports
Tuesday June 1 Memphis RH Doug Mathis 1-0, 5.63 RH Lance Lynn 3-3, 3.81 KTOK AM 1000
Wed. June 2 Memphis RH Omar Beltre 0-3, 3.04 RH Oneli Perez 0-1. 4.40 KTOK AM 1000
Thursday June 3 Memphis RH Michael Kirkman 5-1, 2.85 LH Ryan Kulik 0-1, 21.00 KTOK AM 1000
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 30, 2010
- Redbirds Rally by Albuquerque - Memphis Redbirds
- RedHawks Wait Out Rain, Batter Zephyrs 8-3 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Cubs Defeat Sounds in Rain-Delayed Contest, 5-3 - Nashville Sounds
- Sixth Inning Dooms Aces in 9-2 Loss to Gnats - Reno Aces
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Bats Go Quiet as Beavers Fall to Sky Sox - Portland Beavers
- Birkins, Sox Squeak by Portland, 3-2 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Royals Clout 6 Homers, Win 8th in a Row - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Drop Third Straight at Omaha, 10-2 - Round Rock Express
- Angels Recall Quinlan, McAnulty Joins Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Rally Falls Short As River Cats Defeat Aces, 5-4 - Reno Aces
- Smith Stellar But Sox Lose, 5-4 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Portland uses five, two-out RBIs to win, 5-4 - Portland Beavers
- More Winning, Less Drama for Omaha - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Oklahoma City Dodgers Stories
- Statement from the Oklahoma City Dodgers
- OKC Dodgers Hosting Sixth Annual Fan Fest March 28
- OKC Dodgers Single-Game Tickets on Sale Now
- Annual OKC Dodgers High School Baseball Series Returns this Week
- OKC Dodgers Announce Special Promotions for 2020 Home Schedule