Smith Stellar But Sox Lose, 5-4
Looking to build momentum coming off last night's emotional win, the Sky Sox sent newly acquired starter Greg Smith to the hill. Sent down by the Rockies, the club was relying on Smith to provide depth to a struggling rotation.
Smith tossing two scoreless frames to kick off his 2010 Sky Sox debut, first baseman Brad Eldred lent a bit of run support, leading off the top of the second with a long solo homer to center.
Smith and Cesar Carillo dueling, the Beavers would take the lead in the top of the fifth.
A booted double play ball by Sox second baseman Kaz Matsui gave the visitors two on with none out. Smith doing his best to battle back, Craig Stansberry lined a double to the corner in right, plating Chris Stewart for an unearned run. Craig Cooper would follow up in the next at-bat with a double of his own - scoring two and putting the Beavers up 3-1 before the inning finally ended.
The Sky Sox would rally in the bottom half of the inning, drawing even at three apiece. Stringing together four singles and a walk, the Sox would plate two runs by virtue of RBI singles by Michael McKenry and Kazuo Matsui.
The bats quiet for two frames, Portland made noise in the eighth. Eric Munson working a two-out walk on a close call for ball four, a Josh Barfield single set up a Chris Stewart bases-clearing triple to put Portland up 5-3.
The Sky Sox would get one back in the bottom half on a Brad Eldred sacrifice fly to left, but it was not enough as they fell by a score of 5-4.
With the loss, the Sky Sox drop to 21-27 while the Beavers improve to 19-30.
The two teams will face off tomorrow for the third leg of their series. Left hander Kurt Birkins (1-3, 10.89) will take the hill for the Sox against a starter to be named. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 30, 2010
- Redbirds Rally by Albuquerque - Memphis Redbirds
- RedHawks Wait Out Rain, Batter Zephyrs 8-3 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Cubs Defeat Sounds in Rain-Delayed Contest, 5-3 - Nashville Sounds
- Sixth Inning Dooms Aces in 9-2 Loss to Gnats - Reno Aces
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Bats Go Quiet as Beavers Fall to Sky Sox - Portland Beavers
- Birkins, Sox Squeak by Portland, 3-2 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Royals Clout 6 Homers, Win 8th in a Row - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Drop Third Straight at Omaha, 10-2 - Round Rock Express
- Angels Recall Quinlan, McAnulty Joins Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Rally Falls Short As River Cats Defeat Aces, 5-4 - Reno Aces
- Smith Stellar But Sox Lose, 5-4 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Portland uses five, two-out RBIs to win, 5-4 - Portland Beavers
- More Winning, Less Drama for Omaha - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Springs Sky Sox Stories
- Dodgers Force Sky Sox to Monday Division Decision
- Sky Sox Saturday Night Games Postponed Due to Heavy Rain
- Sky Sox One Win Shy of Clinching American North Division
- Sky Sox Final Regular Season Homestand Begins Tomorrow
- Sky Sox Catcher Christian Bethancourt Named to All-PCL Team