RedHawks Wait Out Rain, Batter Zephyrs 8-3
After waiting out a rain delay of nearly three hours, the Oklahoma City RedHawks scored two runs in the first inning and five more in the third, cruising to an 8-3 victory over New Orleans at Zephyr Field on Sunday.
The RedHawks started their five-run third by collecting seven consecutive hits against Zephyrs starter Jose Rosario, who was making his Triple-A debut, including a three-run home run by catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia.
In the top of the first, OKC used back-to-back doubles and an RBI single by third baseman Chris Davis to jump out to a 2-0 lead.
After the five-run third inning, the Z's clawed back to within five thanks to a two-run homer by Javier Guzman, one of three hits for Guzman. It was his third three-hit performance in his first four games in a Zephyrs uniform.
Hector Luna, Donnie Murphy and Lee Mitchell all charted two hits in the losing effort.
Rosario (0-1) gave up 10 hits and seven runs - six earned - while walking two and striking out one. James Houser pitched 3 2/3 innings of scoreless relief, yielding just one hit.
RedHawks starter Michael Ballard (3-3) picked up the win, going six innings and allowing three runs.
The teams will resume play tomorrow afternoon for a Memorial Day matinee. Righty Burke Badenhop will make his first start of the year for the Zephyrs, while fellow right-handed pitcher Tommy Hunter (1-1, 2.91) will take the hill for Oklahoma City. First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 p.m., and all military personnel and their families will receive free admission with presentation of military I.D.'s. All other fans receive discounted admission of $5.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 30, 2010
- Redbirds Rally by Albuquerque - Memphis Redbirds
- RedHawks Wait Out Rain, Batter Zephyrs 8-3 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Cubs Defeat Sounds in Rain-Delayed Contest, 5-3 - Nashville Sounds
- Sixth Inning Dooms Aces in 9-2 Loss to Gnats - Reno Aces
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Bats Go Quiet as Beavers Fall to Sky Sox - Portland Beavers
- Birkins, Sox Squeak by Portland, 3-2 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Royals Clout 6 Homers, Win 8th in a Row - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Drop Third Straight at Omaha, 10-2 - Round Rock Express
- Angels Recall Quinlan, McAnulty Joins Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- Rally Falls Short As River Cats Defeat Aces, 5-4 - Reno Aces
- Smith Stellar But Sox Lose, 5-4 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Portland uses five, two-out RBIs to win, 5-4 - Portland Beavers
- More Winning, Less Drama for Omaha - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.