RedHawks Clinch Playoff Berth; Goldeyes Take Series
FARGO, ND - After taking an early 3-2 lead, the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks dropped the final game of three with the Winnipeg Goldeyes, 9-3. Despite the loss, with St. Paul's victory over Chicago, Fargo-Moorhead has secured its spot in the American Association playoffs for the first time since 2013.
The RedHawks drew first blood with a 2-RBI double off the right field wall for Correlle Prime. Winnipeg answered in the second with a run, cutting the 'Hawks lead in half. The Goldeyes then tied the game an inning later thanks to Kyle Martin, who has been the RedHawks' kryptonite this season.
Fargo-Moorhead regained the lead in the bottom of the third on a Devan Ahart sacrifice fly to center field, scoring Brennan Metzger all the way from second base.
After the third inning, Kevin Hilton was lights out for Winnipeg and did not give up another hit until the bottom of the ninth inning. In that span, Winnipeg scored seven unanswered runs on six hits, three walks, and four Fargo-Moorhead errors. RedHawks starter Taylor Bloye only lasted 3.2 innings, after giving up seven runs, five of which came in the fourth inning. Hilton tossed all nine innings en route to a 9-3 win for the Goldeyes over the RedHawks.
One highlight of tonight's game was Fargo-Moorhead's outfielder Tim Colwell's pair of hits which give him sole possession of first place in the league in total hits at 123 for this year.
The RedHawks (61-33) will have their first day off in almost a month tomorrow before heading to St. Paul to play a three-game series with the Saints on Wednesday. After tonight, the RedHawks still have a 1½ game over the Saints for the lead in the North Division.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 27, 2019
- Dogs Offense Explodes to Defeat Saints - Chicago Dogs
- AirHogs Drop Series Opener to T-bones 6-1 - Texas AirHogs
- Zombies Invade Shaw Park Yet Again - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RedHawks Clinch Playoff Berth; Goldeyes Take Series - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- AirHogs Drop Series Finale to Railroaders 10-4 - Texas AirHogs
- Milwaukee Sneaks by Birds in Series Finale - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Hilton Goes Distance in Win over RedHawks - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Two Four-Run Rallies Give X's Series Win - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks Stories
- F-M RedHawks Reveal 25th Season Commemorative Logo
- RedHawks Announce 2020 Regular Season Schedule
- RedHawks Win 4-3 in Game Two of NDCS; One Game Away from Series Win
- Jim Bennett Named 2019 American Association Manager of the Year
- RedHawks Take Game One of NDCS with 3-2 Victory over Saints