RedBlacks Re-Sign Fernandez, Flanders and Saunders
OTTAWA - The Ottawa REDBLACKS kicked off a new week the way they ended the last one with the re-signing of three pending free agents. Linebacker Jerod Fernandez is back for a second campaign in Ottawa, while receiver Jalen Saunders and running back Timothy Flanders, who had signed ahead of the cancelled 2020 season, have both re-upped.
American linebacker Jerod Fernandez
After joining Ottawa in the middle of the 2019 season, Fernandez made a big impact in a short amount of time, finishing the season with 53 tackles and a pair of forced fumbles in 11 games - one of which was a strip of William Stanback in overtime to seal a walk-off win for the REDBLACKS. Fernandez signed with the National Football League's Washington Football Team as an undrafted free agent in 2018. ln four pre-season games, he recorded two sacks during his second appearance in a win over the New York Jets.
HEIGHT: 6-0 | WEIGHT: 220 lbs | BIRTHDAY: 1992-06-03
HOMETOWN: Sanford, FL | SCHOOL: North Carolina State
American receiver Jalen Saunders
Saunders previously suited up for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in 2017 and 2018, where he recorded 1,909 yards and six touchdowns. In 2017, Saunders had 1,170 yards and four touchdowns for the Ti-Cats. He recorded 739 yards in just nine games in 2018 before his season was cut short due to injury. Saunders was drafted by the New York Jets in the fourth round in 2014 and would suit up for nine games with the Jets and New Orleans Saints that season. He also spent time on NFL rosters with Arizona, Seattle, New England and Chicago.
HEIGHT: 5-9 | WEIGHT: 171 lbs | BIRTHDAY: 1992-09-30
HOMETOWN: Stockton, CA | SCHOOL: Oklahoma
American running back Timothy Flanders
The Sam Houston state product had 96 carries 541 yards over the past three seasons with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Flanders played 54 games over four seasons (2010-13) at Sam Houston State. He completed his career as the all-time rushing leader for the Bearkats and the Southland Conference with 5,664 yards and 66 touchdowns. Flanders was a three-time finalist for the Walter Payton Award as the most outstanding offensive player in Division I Football Championship Subdivision.
HEIGHT: 5-9 | WEIGHT: 205 lbs | BIRTHDAY: 1992-09-30
HOMETOWN: Midwest City, OK | SCHOOL: Sam Houston State
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from January 18, 2021
- Defensive Back L.J. McCray Stays in Riderville - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Boatmen Sign DB Jeff Richards; Extend DB Crezdon Butler, LB Curtis Akins & OL Jatitus Allen - Toronto Argonauts
- RedBlacks Sign American Trio - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Move the Chains: Conversations About Diversity and Inclusion in Pro Football - B.C. Lions
- Kasitati Remains with Stampeders - Calgary Stampeders
- Riders Sign 2020 First-Round CFL Draft Selection Mattland Riley - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Royce Rolls on with Stampeders - Calgary Stampeders
- RedBlacks Re-Sign Fernandez, Flanders and Saunders - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Ottawa RedBlacks Stories
- RedBlacks Sign American DB Shamarko Thomas
- RedBlacks Draft Four International Talents at the 2021 CFL Global Draft
- RedBlacks Select Anthony Mahoungou in First Round of CFL Global Draft
- RedBlacks Graydon Campbell and Junior Joseph Announce Retirements
- RedBlacks Sign American WR Marvelle Ross