Redbirds Sweep Twin-Bill with Omaha
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - The first-place Memphis Redbirds held the Omaha Storm Chasers (Royals) to a total of three runs in a Tuesday night doubleheader at AutoZone Park, coming from behind in both games and winning 3-1 in the opener and 4-2 in the nightcap.
With the wins, Memphis is now 76-40 this year, a season-high 36 games over .500, and has won 30 of its last 39 games. The Redbirds have seen 14 different players spend time with the St. Louis Cardinals this season, including five members of the Opening Day roster.
In each game, the Redbirds scored three runs in a late inning to complete their comebacks, and the starting pitchers gave 12.0 combined innings of work.
Game 1: Memphis 3, Omaha 1 The Redbirds scored three runs in the fifth inning, with singles and runs coming from Alberto Rosario, Wilfredo Tovar, and Rangel Ravelo, and Kevin Herget shined on the mound in game one.
Herget went a season-long 6.0 innings, allowing just the one run on four hits while striking out five. Josh Lucas came on and picked up his 12th save of the season with a perfect seventh inning.
Tovar ended the game with two hits, and Tyler O'Neill singled, drove in a run in the decisive fifth inning, and walked twice.
Game 2: Memphis 4, Omaha 2 Memphis fell behind 2-0 into the bottom of the fifth but scored a run in the fifth and three more in the sixth to power the win. After three walks to load the bases, Gabriel Lino snuck a three-run double just fair inside the third-base line to clear the bases and put the Redbirds ahead for good, 4-2.
Matt Pearce scattered seven hits in 6.0 innings, giving up two runs, one earned and fanning four. Ryan Sherriff earned the save with a 1-2-3 top of the seventh.
Nick Martini was 2-for-4 with a double and an RBI.
Memphis and Omaha continue their five-game, four-day series tomorrow night at 6:35.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 10, 2017
- Bader Provides Walk-Off Single in Bottom of 10th - Memphis Redbirds
- Zagunis Homers in Iowa's Win Over - Iowa Cubs
- OKC Dodgers and Midfirst Bank to "Pack the Park Pink - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Andreoli Delivers Iowa's First - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Sweep Twin-Bill with Omaha - Memphis Redbirds
- Sky Sox, Express Postpone August 8 Game Due to Heavy Rain - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Wendle and Wilson Provide Tenth Inning Heroics - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Redbirds Stories
- Redbirds to Play as "Memphis Música" in MiLB's "Copa de la Diversion" Series
- Redbirds Celebrate Penny Hardaway Hire with the "Welcome (Back for A) Penny Special"
- Redbirds Single-Game Tickets, "Buzzer-Beater Daily Deals" on Sale Tomorrow
- Redbirds Holding Second Gameday Job Fair at AutoZone
- Cardinals Caravan Visit to AutoZone Park Canceled