Bader Provides Walk-Off Single in Bottom of 10th
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - Harrison Bader hit a walk-off single past a drawn-in infield in the bottom of the 10th inning to shoot the first-place Memphis Redbirds past the Omaha Storm Chasers (Royals), 3-2, Wednesday night at AutoZone Park.
With the win, Memphis improves to 77-40, a season-high 37 games over .500, and has secured a 26th-straight series win or tie dating back to losing three-of-four games at Colorado Springs from April 18-21. The Redbirds are also now 9-0 in extra-inning games this year.
Alex Mejia was 4-for-5 with a double, and Breyvic Valera, Rangel Ravelo, and Bader all had two hits in the ballgame.
After John Gant worked through 6.0 innings on the mound, allowing two runs and striking out seven, Mike Mayers and Mike Montgomery combined for 4.0 one-hit innings while striking out five to finish the game. Memphis hurlers retired 14 of the final 15 Storm Chasers in the ballgame.
Memphis led 2-1 after an inning before Omaha tied it in the fifth, and the game remained knotted at 2 until the decisive 10th frame. Montgomery issued a one-out walk in the top of the 10th but got a flyout and a groundout after a stolen base to keep the go-ahead run on second.
In the bottom of the 10th, Ravelo and Nick Martini walked, and Adolis Garcia came on to pinch run for Ravelo. After a strikeout, Mejia hit a base knock to load the bases with one out.
Bader then stepped to the dish and stroked the game-winning single through the left side of the infield, scoring Garcia, to give the Redbirds the win.
The Redbirds and the Storm Chasers conclude their five-day, four game series tomorrow night at 7:05, before Memphis starts home-and-home four-game series with the Nashville Sounds (Athletics).
Next Games at AutoZone Park The current homestand (Aug. 7-10) concludes with:
Thursday, Aug. 10 (7:05 p.m.): All-You-Can-Eat Thursday featuring burgers plus ballpark favorite hot dogs and sides, Thirsty Thursday with select $2 beers, College Night with $5 Left Field TruGreen Bluff tickets available for college students with a valid college ID
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 10, 2017
- Bader Provides Walk-Off Single in Bottom of 10th - Memphis Redbirds
- Zagunis Homers in Iowa's Win Over - Iowa Cubs
- OKC Dodgers and Midfirst Bank to "Pack the Park Pink - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Andreoli Delivers Iowa's First - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Sweep Twin-Bill with Omaha - Memphis Redbirds
- Sky Sox, Express Postpone August 8 Game Due to Heavy Rain - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Wendle and Wilson Provide Tenth Inning Heroics - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Redbirds Stories
- Redbirds to Play as "Memphis Música" in MiLB's "Copa de la Diversion" Series
- Redbirds Celebrate Penny Hardaway Hire with the "Welcome (Back for A) Penny Special"
- Redbirds Single-Game Tickets, "Buzzer-Beater Daily Deals" on Sale Tomorrow
- Redbirds Holding Second Gameday Job Fair at AutoZone
- Cardinals Caravan Visit to AutoZone Park Canceled