Zagunis Homers in Iowa's Win Over
DES MOINES, IA - The Iowa Cubs (55-59) defeated the Sacramento River Cats (49-67) 7-3, Wednesday at Principal Park. Mark Zagunis hit his team-leading 13th home run of the season and Victor Caratini reached base three times.
Right-hander Aaron Brooks (7-9) went 7.1 innings, giving up three runs on five hits and two home runs. He walked one and struck out six in his second straight quality start, earning his team-leading seventh win.
Iowa trailed 1-0 early in the game before taking a 2-1 lead in the fourth. An error by Sacramento shortstop Juniel Querecuto opened the door for the I-Cubs, with Victor Caratini scoring on the miscue. The I-Cubs took advantage as Brooks helped his cause with an RBI single.
Mike Freeman singled in the fifth and Zagunis hit a two-run home run in the seventh to give Iowa a 5-3 lead. Iowa added a pair of insurance runs in the eighth on a pinch-hit RBI single by Bijan Rademacher and an RBI single by Zagunis, who went 2-for-4 with three RBI and his league-leading 66th walk of the season. David Garner held the River Cats for the final 1.2 frames, earning his first Triple-A save.
Iowa has now won five of its last six games, with each of the wins being come-from-behind victories. The I-Cubs go for the series win tomorrow in the finale at 12:08 p.m. at Principal Park. For more information or tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 10, 2017
- Bader Provides Walk-Off Single in Bottom of 10th - Memphis Redbirds
- Zagunis Homers in Iowa's Win Over - Iowa Cubs
- OKC Dodgers and Midfirst Bank to "Pack the Park Pink - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Andreoli Delivers Iowa's First - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Sweep Twin-Bill with Omaha - Memphis Redbirds
- Sky Sox, Express Postpone August 8 Game Due to Heavy Rain - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Wendle and Wilson Provide Tenth Inning Heroics - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.