Red Wings Assign Frk to Griffins
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday assigned forward Martin Frk to the Grand Rapids Griffins after claiming him off waivers from the Carolina Hurricanes.
Frk, 23, became the 156th Griffins alumnus to play in the NHL after he debuted with the Carolina Hurricanes on Oct. 18 in a 3-2 loss at Edmonton. The 6-foot, 200-pound winger skated in two games with the Hurricanes and totaled a minus-three rating.
Detroit's first choice, 49th overall, in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Frk has played in 149 games with the Griffins since 2013 and has accumulated 68 points (36-32 - 68). The Pelhrimov, Czech Republic native turned in a career year in 2015-16 by establishing new career highs in goals (27), assists (17) and points (27-17 - 44) and ranking among the AHL's leaders with 27 goals (T6th) and 11 power play goals (T5th).
Frk also played in 44 games with the ECHL's Toledo Walleye from 2013-15 and scored 51 points (28-23 - 51).
Prior to turning pro, Frk skated in three seasons (2010-13) with Halifax (QMJHL), banking 163 points (73-90 - 163) and helping the Mooseheads win both the QMJHL President Cup and the CHL Memorial Cup in 2013.
Off to a 4-3 start, the Griffins return home to Van Andel Arena for a pair of games this weekend. Grand Rapids will host Iowa on Friday and Chicago on Saturday, with both games starting at 7 p.m.
Single-game tickets are currently on sale. Fans can secure their full-season, select-season or group ticket packages by calling (616) 774-4585 ext. 2 or visit griffinshockey.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 1, 2016
- IceCaps Clip Comets in OT - St. John's IceCaps
- Comets Rally for Point in St. Johns - Utica Comets
- Defenseman Gelinas Assigned to Quad City - Iowa Wild
- Rampage Recall Goaltender Nathan Lieuwen - San Antonio Rampage
- Condors Home Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday to Kick off Homestand - Bakersfield Condors
- Griffins Set to Host Iowa and Chicago - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Phantoms Weekly - Phantoms Return to PPL Center for 80's Night This Saturday - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Winnipeg Jets Release - Jets Recall Melchiori; Place Stafford on IR - Manitoba Moose
- B-Sens Recall Defenseman Chris Rumble, Sign Forward Triston Grant - Binghamton Senators
- Red Wings Assign Frk to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Reign Add Goaltender Troy Redmann; Release Dusty Imoo - Ontario Reign
- The Sound Tigers Report: Week 3 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Kings - Kings Assign Defenseman Rob Scuderi to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Condors Recall Simonelli and Assign Descheneau to Norfolk - Bakersfield Condors
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions to Lepine, Dunn - Binghamton Senators
- AHL Weekly Rewind - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Minnesota Recalls Trio from Iowa - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Rapids Griffins Stories
- Red Wings Training Camp Opens Friday in Traverse City
- Griffins Announce 2019-20 Promotional Schedule, Ticket On-Sale Date
- Red Wings Release 2019 NHL Prospect Tournament Roster
- Red Wings Re-Sign Dominic Turgeon for One Year
- Griffins Announce Front Office Additions, Promotion