AHL Weekly Rewind
Penguins stand tall as AHL's top defensive team, Atlantic Division leaders
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (5-1-1-0) continues to hold opponents at bay
Wednesday, Oct. 26 - PENGUINS 3 vs. Albany 1
The Albany Devils entered Wednesday night's game as the last undefeated team in the AHL and left with their first loss of the season coming at the hands of the Penguins. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton held Albany to 20 shots and scored its goals on the power play, shorthanded and at even strength.
Saturday, Oct. 29 - PENGUINS 1 at Springfield 2 (OT)
Reid McNeill scored his first of the season, but a third period tally from Paul Thompson and then overtime game-winner by Chase Balisy saw the Thunderbirds get the best of the Pens.
Sunday, Oct. 30 - PENGUINS 6 vs. Syracuse 1
The Pens offense erupted for three goals in the first period, sparking a convincing Sunday matinée victory. Kevin Porter scored twice for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, the second time this season he put forth a two-goal showing against Syracuse.
The Week Ahead
Friday, Nov. 4 - PENGUINS vs. Binghamton
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton kicks off a three-in-three slate with an old rival, the Binghamton Senators. This will be the first time this season the Pens and Sens clash, but in 2015-16, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton won the season series, 5-1-0-0.
Saturday, Nov. 5 - PENGUINS at Bridgeport
The Sound Tigers found the upper hand in last year's season series by beating the Pens five out of six times. Now, they have three rookies in the team's top four scorers. However, Bridgeport has been outscored 9-8 at home so far this year.
Sunday, Nov. 5 - PENGUINS at Providence
The Penguins prepare for their first meeting with the Bruins since they swept Providence with three consecutive overtime wins in the first round of last year's Calder Cup Playoffs.
- The Penguins have held their opponents to just one goal in regulation for six-straight games.
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton owns the AHL's best goals against (9) and combined team save percentage (.949).
- The Penguins hold the league's top penalty kill at 93.8%.
- Casey DeSmith's .960 save percentage ranks first among AHL rookie goaltenders.
- Reid McNeill's goal on Saturday was his the first time he found the back of the net since Feb. 28, 2015 against Hartford.
- Barry Goers, Ethan Prow and Patrick McGrath all recorded their first points of the season with assists on Sunday.
- Tom Kostopoulos is two points shy of reaching his 400th point with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
TEAM GP W L OTL SOL PTS Pt%
1. PENGUINS 7 5 1 1 0 11 .786
2. Springfield 7 5 2 0 0 10 .714
3. Bridgeport 7 4 3 0 0 8 .571
4. Hershey 7 3 2 2 0 8 .571
5. Hartford 7 3 4 0 0 6 .429
6. Lehigh Valley 6 2 3 1 0 5 .417
7. Providence 8 2 4 2 0 6 .375
SKATERS GP G A PTS
Jake Guentzel* 7 2 5 7
Kevin Porter 7 4 1 5
Carter Rowney 4 2 3 5
five players tied 3
GOALIES GP W-L-OT-SO GAA Sv% Shutouts
Casey DeSmith* 2 2-0-0-0 1.00 0.960 0
Tristan Jarry 5 3-1-1-0 1.39 0.944 0
^ currently with Pittsburgh
UPCOMING GAME SCHEDULE
DATE OPPONENT LOCATION TIME
Fri, Nov. 4 Binghamton Mohegan Sun Arena 7:05 p.m.
Sat, Nov. 5 Bridgeport Webster Bank Arena 7:00 p.m.
Sun, Nov. 6 Providence Dunkin' Donuts Center 3:05 p.m.
DATE LOCATION TIME
Wed, Nov. 2 Practice Toyota SportsPlex 10:30 a.m.
Thu, Nov. 3 Practice Toyota SportsPlex 10:30 a.m.
Fri, Nov. 4 Pre-Game Mohegan Sun Arena 10:00 a.m.
Game Mohegan Sun Arena 7:05 p.m.
Sat, Nov. 5 Pre-Game Webster Bank Arena 11:15 a.m.
Game Webster Bank Arena 7:00 p.m.
Sun, Nov. 6 Game Dunkin' Donuts Center 3:05 p.m.
Mon, Nov. 7 DAY OFF
Tue, Nov. 8 Practice Toyota SportsPlex 10:30 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 1, 2016
- IceCaps Clip Comets in OT - St. John's IceCaps
- Comets Rally for Point in St. Johns - Utica Comets
- Defenseman Gelinas Assigned to Quad City - Iowa Wild
- Rampage Recall Goaltender Nathan Lieuwen - San Antonio Rampage
- Condors Home Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday to Kick off Homestand - Bakersfield Condors
- Griffins Set to Host Iowa and Chicago - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Phantoms Weekly - Phantoms Return to PPL Center for 80's Night This Saturday - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Winnipeg Jets Release - Jets Recall Melchiori; Place Stafford on IR - Manitoba Moose
- B-Sens Recall Defenseman Chris Rumble, Sign Forward Triston Grant - Binghamton Senators
- Red Wings Assign Frk to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Reign Add Goaltender Troy Redmann; Release Dusty Imoo - Ontario Reign
- The Sound Tigers Report: Week 3 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Kings - Kings Assign Defenseman Rob Scuderi to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Condors Recall Simonelli and Assign Descheneau to Norfolk - Bakersfield Condors
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions to Lepine, Dunn - Binghamton Senators
- AHL Weekly Rewind - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Minnesota Recalls Trio from Iowa - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Forrest Named Head Coach, Karmanos Named GM of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Mike Vellucci, Todd Reirden Hired as Assistant Coaches by Pittsburgh
- Penguins Sign Felix Robert and Luke Stevens
- Pittsburgh's Postseason Roster Features 19 Alumni of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton
- Penguins Sign Nick Schilkey and Zach Nastasiuk