Red-Hot Rangers Blank the Knights
The Kitchener Rangers ended a long drought against the London Knights with a 4-0 victory on Tuesday at the Kitchener Memorial Auditorium.
The Knights had won nine consecutive games over the Rangers dating back to Jan. 23, 2018 when the Rangers edged the Knights 3-2 in a shootout at Budweiser Gardens.
Teddy Bear toss night in Kitchener brought a packed crowd and a new record for stuffed toys in the OHL as the Rangers collected 11 052 stuffed toys for charity.
The goal that brought them down came off the stick of rookie Ranger forward Jesse Fishman, and it was the only goal of the game through the first 40 minutes.
Kitchener defenceman Justin McPherson fired a shot through traffic 1:41 into the third period to make it 2-0. Kitchener then got goals less than two minutes apart from Jonathan Yantsis and Reid Valade to put the game away.
"I think we were playing solid defence but we sort of got away from it and hung [Dylan] Myskiw out to dry," said Knights forward Josh Nelson.
London was playing their first game without Liam Foudy and Connor McMichael who are away at Team Canada's final selection camp for the World Junior Hockey Championship. The two have combined for 38 goals and 85 points this season, but forward Cole Tymkin says the way to succeed without them is not to try to be like them.
"We talked about it in the dressing room. We're not looking for anyone to change to become the next Foudy or McMichael. We're not looking for a 60-point guy while they're gone. We have to play within our system... if we try to play like [them] it's not going to go the right way."
Jacob Ingham made 28 saves for his first shutout as a Ranger and helped to push their winning streak to seven games. Kitchener has won every game they have played since Ingham returned from injury and since General Manager Mike McKenzie took over behind the bench for Jay McKee.
Myskiw made 32 saves in net for London.
The Knights will visit the Niagara Ice Dogs on Thursday and return home Friday to play the Sarnia Sting for the first time this season.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from December 11, 2019
- Preview: Firebirds Host Saginaw Friday in Flint - Flint Firebirds
- Curtain Rises on New Cast - North Bay Battalion
- Sting Hope to Stock the Shelves at Inn of the Good Shepherd this Saturday Night - Sarnia Sting
- Platers Product Scott Walker Honoured in Owen Sound - Guelph Storm
- Platers Product Scott Walker Honoured in Owen Sound - Owen Sound Attack
- Zehrs Toy Drive in Support of the Salvation Army a Huge Success - Guelph Storm
- Steelheads Rallying Around Caledon Teen - Mississauga Steelheads
- Red-Hot Rangers Blank the Knights - London Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.