Red Bulls Sign Goalkeeper Ryan Meara to New Contract
HARRISON, NJ (Dec. 18, 2012) - The New York Red Bulls announced today that they have signed goalkeeper Ryan Meara to a new contract.
"Ryan, a local boy, has impressed our coaching staff and has the potential to be a top goalkeeper," said Red Bulls Sporting Director Andy Roxburgh. "He is recovering well from his injury problem and should be fully fit to join the first team squad in preseason training. We are delighted to sign him on a new contract."
An early contender for MLS Rookie of the Year before undergoing season ending hip surgery on Aug. 23, Meara had a strong first professional campaign. After being drafted in the second round (31st overall) in the 2012 MLS SuperDraft from Fordham University, Meara earned the starting role in preseason and started in 18 games for New York, recording a 9-5-4 record and a 1.50 goals against average. The Yonkers, NY native set the shutout record earlier this year for a rookie goalkeeper, not conceding a goal in 321 minutes while helping the Red Bulls to a five-match winning streak from April 28 to May 19.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 18, 2012
- Seahawks and Sounders FC Select New Food and Beverage Provider At - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers to Visit Six Communities During Second-Annual 'Dribble Oregon' - Portland Timbers
- Red Bulls Sign Goalkeeper Ryan Meara to New Contract - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting KC Signs Claudio Bieler as Designated Player - Sporting Kansas City
- Chivas USA Kicks off 2013 Season Hosting Columbus Crew March 2 - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- LA Galaxy to Open MLS Cup Title Defense on March 3 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Revolution to Open 2013 Home Slate March 23 - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Announces First Three Games of 2013 Campaign - D.C. United
- New York to Face Long-Time Rival D.C. United in 2013 MLS Home Opener - New York Red Bulls
- Sounders FC Announces 2013 MLS Regular Season Home Opener - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake to Open 2013 MLS Season on March 3 at San Jose - Real Salt Lake
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC to Host Toronto FC for 2013 MLS Regular Season Opener - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Montreal Impact to Play Home Opener March 16 - Montreal Impact
- Chicago Fire Host Opening Day at Toyota Park Saturday, March 9 - Chicago Fire
- Sporting KC's 2013 Home Opener Set for March 16 against Chicago - Sporting Kansas City
- MLS Announces Home Openers for 2013 Regular Season - MLS
- San Jose Earthquakes to Host Real Salt Lake on Sunday, March 3 in Home Opener - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers to Face New York Red Bulls at Jeld-Wen Field in 2013 Season Opener - Portland Timbers
- Dynamo to Open 2013 MLS Season against D.C. United on March 2 at BBVA Compass Stadium - Houston Dynamo
- Rapids 2013 Home Opener Set for March 9 against Philadelphia - Colorado Rapids
- Crew to Host San Jose Earthquakes on March 16 in 2013 Home Opener - Columbus Crew SC
- Timbers Acquire Mobi Fehr Through MLS Weighted Lottery - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Adds Forward Depth; Signs Brazilian Wesley "Pipico" Silva - FC Dallas
- D.C. United Parts Ways with Stephen King and Michael Chabala - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- New York Red Bulls Move up in Waiver Draft, Select Marcus Epps
- New York Red Bulls Re-Sign Tim Parker
- New York Red Bulls Acquire Defender Amro Tarek from Orlando City SC
- Ndam Selected by FC Cincinnati in MLS Expansion Draft
- New York Red Bulls Announce Protected Player List