Crew to Host San Jose Earthquakes on March 16 in 2013 Home Opener
COLUMBUS - Major League Soccer announced the home openers for each of its 19 clubs on Tuesday morning. The Columbus Crew will host the 2012 MLS Supporters' Shield-winning San Jose Earthquakes on March 16 to open the home portion of the 2013 season. Times and broadcast information will be unveiled in the coming weeks as part of the complete 2013 regular season schedule announcement. Each club will again play 34 games during the regular season.
"We couldn't have asked for a better First Kick opponent to begin our season," said Crew President and General Manager Mark McCullers. "We expect 2013 to be a breakout year for our organization on and off the field, and San Jose provides an exciting matchup to kick things off. Most importantly, this is an opportunity for us to showcase our passionate home atmosphere against one of the top teams in the League."
The Crew returns the dynamic strike partnership of 2012 MLS Newcomer of the Year Federico HiguaÃ-n and Costa Rican Jairo Arrieta in 2013, as well as the 2012 MLS saves leader Andy Gruenebaum in net. The Earthquakes' roster is headlined by 2012 MLS Most Valuable Player and Budweiser Golden Boot winner Chris Wondolowski, alongside 2012 MLS Coach of the Year Frank Yallop. San Jose's roster also features former Crew striker Steven Lenhart and goalkeeper Jon Busch, both of whom helped deliver silverware to Columbus during their respective tenures in Black & Gold.
Tickets to First Kick 2013 are currently part of the Crew's Holiday Pack. Starting at only $75, the Holiday Pack includes two tickets to the San Jose game on March 16, along with two tickets to any 2013 match of choice. Complete details can be found via TheCrew.com/holiday or by calling the Crew sales office at 614-447-CREW (2739). Single game tickets will go on sale following the complete MLS schedule announcement.
Before the Crew squares off against the Earthquakes, the Black & Gold open the 2013 season at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. on March 2 against Chivas USA as part of MLS First Kick 2013. Columbus defeated Chivas 1-0 in the only meeting between the two sides in 2012 on September 19 at Crew Stadium.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 18, 2012
- Seahawks and Sounders FC Select New Food and Beverage Provider At - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers to Visit Six Communities During Second-Annual 'Dribble Oregon' - Portland Timbers
- Red Bulls Sign Goalkeeper Ryan Meara to New Contract - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting KC Signs Claudio Bieler as Designated Player - Sporting Kansas City
- Chivas USA Kicks off 2013 Season Hosting Columbus Crew March 2 - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- LA Galaxy to Open MLS Cup Title Defense on March 3 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Revolution to Open 2013 Home Slate March 23 - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Announces First Three Games of 2013 Campaign - D.C. United
- New York to Face Long-Time Rival D.C. United in 2013 MLS Home Opener - New York Red Bulls
- Sounders FC Announces 2013 MLS Regular Season Home Opener - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake to Open 2013 MLS Season on March 3 at San Jose - Real Salt Lake
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC to Host Toronto FC for 2013 MLS Regular Season Opener - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Montreal Impact to Play Home Opener March 16 - Montreal Impact
- Chicago Fire Host Opening Day at Toyota Park Saturday, March 9 - Chicago Fire
- Sporting KC's 2013 Home Opener Set for March 16 against Chicago - Sporting Kansas City
- MLS Announces Home Openers for 2013 Regular Season - MLS
- San Jose Earthquakes to Host Real Salt Lake on Sunday, March 3 in Home Opener - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers to Face New York Red Bulls at Jeld-Wen Field in 2013 Season Opener - Portland Timbers
- Dynamo to Open 2013 MLS Season against D.C. United on March 2 at BBVA Compass Stadium - Houston Dynamo
- Rapids 2013 Home Opener Set for March 9 against Philadelphia - Colorado Rapids
- Crew to Host San Jose Earthquakes on March 16 in 2013 Home Opener - Columbus Crew SC
- Timbers Acquire Mobi Fehr Through MLS Weighted Lottery - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Adds Forward Depth; Signs Brazilian Wesley "Pipico" Silva - FC Dallas
- D.C. United Parts Ways with Stephen King and Michael Chabala - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Statement from Precourt Sports Ventures
- Columbus Crew SC Travels to Stade Saputo to Face the Montreal Impact Today
- Four Columbus Crew SC Players Receive International Call-Ups
- Columbus Crew SC Transfers Midfielder Mohammed Abu to Norwegian First Division Side Valerenga Fotball
- Columbus Crew SC's Zack Steffen and Wil Trapp Receive International Call-Ups from the United States Men's National Team