Red Bull Arena to Host Pair of International Matches in March
HARRISON, N.J. - Red Bull Arena will host a pair of international matches during the March FIFA break, with Paraguay and Peru set to meet on Friday, March 22, and Honduras facing Ecuador on Tuesday, March 26.
New York Red Bulls Red Members will have access to an exclusive presale window beginning today at 10 a.m. ET. Tickets go on-sale to the general public at 1 p.m. ET today.
Paraguay enters 2019 under the direction of former Red Bulls head coach Juan Carlos Osorio. Osorio was named head coach last summer after leading Mexico through the 2018 World Cup. La Albirroja have called in several MLS players to recent camps, including Red Bulls playmaker Kaku and Atlanta's Miguel Almiron. Kaku made two appearances for Paraguay in 2018 after making the one-time switch from his native Argentina.
Peru are coming off of a 2018 FIFA World Cup appearance. La Blanquirroja also played at Red Bull Arena in March of 2018 ahead of their trip to Russia, their sixth overall World Cup appearance. Peru have been coached by Ricardo Gareca since 2015. The Argentine has a 23-13-16 record and led Peru back to the World Cup for the first time since 1982.
Honduras and Ecuador are both familiar with Red Bull Arena. Honduras most recently opened the 2017 Gold Cup at RBA against Costa Rica, while Ecuador has played in Harrison in 2010, 2011, 2017 and 2018, when they hosted Jamaica in September.
Honduras finished fourth in Concacaf qualifying for the 2018 World Cup, falling to Australia in the Concacaf - Asian Football Confederation qualification playoff. Jorge Alexy Jimenez Espinal was named Honduras' head coach in 2018. Honduras split their most recent matches in the November international window, beating Panama 1-0 before falling to Chile, 4-1.
Ecuador went 4-1-1 in 2018, and finished CONMEBOL's 2018 World Cup qualifying with a 6-2-10 record, just six points out of the inter-confederation play-offs. La Tri named Hernan Dario Gomez head coach on August 1, 2018 after coaching Panama through their first World Cup appearance.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 17, 2019
- LA Galaxy 2019 Single-Game Tickets on Sale Now - LA Galaxy
- Sounders FC Announces Groundbreaking Multi-Year Jersey Rights Partnership with Seattle-Based Online Retailer Zulily - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire to Open 2019 Preseason Schedule in Spain - Chicago Fire
- Revolution Defender Antonio Delamea Called in to Slovenia National Team - New England Revolution
- Bacon and Beer Classic Comes to Avaya Stadium April 13 - San Jose Earthquakes
- D.C. United and Ben Olsen Sign Multi-Year Contract Extension - D.C. United
- Red Bull Arena to Host Pair of International Matches in March - New York Red Bulls
- Columbus Crew SC Re-Signs Midfielder Ricardo Clark - Columbus Crew SC
- Maximiliano Urruti Signs New Multi-Year Deal with the Impact - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Red Bulls Fall in New England
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Conclude Two-Match Road Trip at New England
- Red Bulls Snap Three-Match Losing Streak, Tie SKC, 2-2
- Match Preview: New York Starts Two-Match Roadtrip, Begins with Sporting KC
- New York Red Bulls and Prudential Financial Sign 12 Players to Unified Team