Real Salt Lake Ousts FC Cincinnati 3-0
CINCINNATI, Ohio - Real Salt Lake (3-4-1, 10 points) earned its first road win of 2019 with a 3-0 win over FC Cincinnati at Nippert Stadium on Friday, picking up a second consecutive win against an Eastern Conference foe.
MF Albert Rusnák scored two goals and FW Sam Johnson notched his second in as many weeks as GK Andrew Putna made the only save asked of him and earned his first career MLS shutout in the victory.
RSL was outshot 7-5 in a first half that went scoreless for the first 40 minutes. However, four shots on target in the final five minutes resulted in Salt Lake going into halftime with a 2-0 lead. In the 42nd minute, Rusnák scored his third goal of the year on a left-footed sidewinder for a 1-0 advantage. Then in first-half stoppage time, MF Damir Kreilach and FW Corey Baird were denied from close range before Johnson smashed home the rebound to go up 2-0.
Real Salt Lake maintained control through the second half, putting three more shots on target. Early in the half, FW Jefferson Savarino was taken down in the box and referee Fotis Bazakos pointed to the spot for a penalty. Rusnák converted for his second goal of the match and a 3-0 lead. RSL then held off Cincinnati to leave Nippert Stadium with the win.
UP NEXT: Real Salt Lake will play yet another road match on Sunday, April 28 against the LA Galaxy at Dignity Health Sports Park. Kickoff is scheduled for 5 p.m. MT.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
RSL: Albert Rusnák, 42nd minute - Corey Baird won the ball just outside the box and fired a low-angle shot from the left side. Cincinnati goalkeeper Spencer Richey made the initial save, but the rebound bounced to Rusnák 15 yards out and he hammered a left-footed rocket off the half-volley into the net for his third goal of the year and a 1-0 lead.
RSL: Sam Johnson, 45th minute +2 - RSL got out on the counter attack and got numbers in the box before Albert Rusnák dropped a pass to Damir Kreilach for a shot. After Spencer Richey made the first save, Corey Baird had his putback effort cleared off the line by Cincinnati defenders. The third ball spilled to Johnson, who twisted a shot through the defense for his second goal in as many weeks and a 2-0 lead.
RSL: Albert Rusnák (PK), 59th minute - Jefferson Savarino got in the box up the right side and was taken down for a penalty. Rusnák thumped his shot past a diving Spencer Richey for his second goal of the match to put RSL up 3-0.
- GK Nick Rimando injured his left knee in training this week and is being held out this week as a precaution. He is undergoing rehabilitation and further testing to determine his availability going forward.
- DF Marcelo Silva (hamstring), DF Erik Holt (ankle), MF Everton Luiz (knee) and MF Luke Mulholland (back) also missed the match due to injury.
- As part of the MLS Greener Goals initiative, both teams wore special adidas x Parley eco-friendly kits made from technical yarns comprised of Parley Ocean Plastic. For more information, click here.
Match: Real Salt Lake at FC Cincinnati
Date: April 19, 2019
Venue: Nippert Stadium; Cincinnati, Ohio
Weather: Showers and 47
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
Real Salt Lake 2 1 3
FC Cincinnati 0 0 0
RSL: Albert Rusnák 42'
RSL: Sam Johnson 45'+2
RSL: Albert Rusnák (PK) 59'
Real Salt Lake (4-2-3-1): Andrew Putna; Aaron Herrera, Justen Glad, Nedum Onuoha, Donny Toia; Kyle Beckerman, Damir Kreilach; Corey Baird (Sebastian Saucedo 74'), Albert Rusnák, Jefferson Savarino (Joao Plata 90'+1); Sam Johnson (Nick Besler 87')
Subs not used: David Ochoa, Brooks Lennon, Justin Portillo, Pablo Ruiz
FC Cincinnati: (4-4-2): Spencer Richey; Alvas Powell, Nick Hagglund, Kendall Waston, Mathieu Deplagne; Allan Cruz (Kekuta Manneh 67'), Leonardo Bertone, Victor Ulloa (Fatai Alashe 77'), Roland Lamah; Kenny Saief, Darren Mattocks (Caleb Stanko 77').
Subs not used: Przemyslaw Tyton, Justin Hoyte, Forrest Lasso, Eric Alexander
Stats Summary: RSL / CIN
Shots: 10 / 14
Shots on Goal: 7 / 1
Saves: 1 / 3
Corner Kicks: 1 / 13
Fouls: 13 / 7
Offside: 3 / 0
RSL - Albert Rusnák (caution) 38'
RSL - Corey Baird (caution) 45'+3
CIN - Kendall Waston (caution) 58'
Referee: Fotis Bazakos
Assistant Referees: Brian Poeschel, Cory Richardson
4th Official: Farhad Dadkho
VAR: Chico Grajeda
AVAR: Benjamin Hall-Volpenhein
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 19, 2019
- FC Cincinnati Falls to Real Salt Lake 3-0 - FC Cincinnati
- Loons Fall 4-3 in Wild Back-And-Forth Game - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Ousts FC Cincinnati 3-0 - Real Salt Lake
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Orlando City Soccer Club and ParkWhiz Team up to Provide Fans a Better Game Day Experience - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts the Portland Timbers at MAPFRE Stadium Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. New York Red Bulls - New England Revolution
- Preview: Orlando City to Face Vancouver on Saturday - Orlando City SC
- 5 Things You Need to Know About FC Dallas' Match vs Atlanta United - FC Dallas
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. FC Dallas - Atlanta United FC
- Impact Visits Philadelphia Union Saturday Afternoon - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Runs Rampant over Toronto FC in Sandy
- Real Salt Lake Hosts Toronto FC on Saturday Afternoon in Sandy
- Real Salt Lake FW Julian Vazquez Called in to Mexico U-18 Camp
- Real Salt Lake Outlasts Colorado in 3-2 Road Win
- Real Salt Lake Faces Rocky Mountain Rival Colorado Rapids Saturday in Denver