Real Salt Lake Names Freddy Juarez Head Coach
SANDY, Utah - Real Salt Lake today announced that Freddy Juarez has been named the fifth Head Coach in the club's history, after coaching at every level in the organization.
"When you look at Freddy and the progression that he has taken, he has the natural heart to develop. He will constantly develop players and help them improve their game and he's done that for 10 years," Real Salt Lake Owner Dell Loy Hansen said. "Players love to play for Freddy. He's a father figure and he's respected. He's beloved and that's hard to find in a coach."
Juarez has been serving as Interim Head Coach at Real Salt Lake since August 11, leading RSL to third place in the Western Conference and a berth in the Western Conference Semifinals after a First Round home win against the Portland Timbers.
Juarez, 41, originally joined the Real Salt Lake organization as RSL Academy Head Coach in 2010, winning the USSDA U-16 Championship in 2012 with a roster that boasted future RSL players DF Justen Glad, DF/FW Brooks Lennon and FW Sebastian Saucedo, among others. He remained with the Academy until being promoted to Head Coach of Real Monarchs SLC in the club's inaugural season in the USL in 2015. After two seasons in that post, he was again promoted to Real Salt Lake's coaching staff as an assistant coach, where he has played an integral role in continued youth development at the MLS level and in implementing tactical approaches that have helped RSL improve in the standings in each of his three years on staff.
In August, he took the helm as Interim Head Coach, with RSL going 5-4-1 in the final 10 matches in that role after posting a 2-0-1 record in his three matches as acting head coach prior to being named in the interim role.
"Having gone through everything with the Academy and the Monarchs and now being able to lead the organization with the first team is awesome. It's something I never dreamed of, but it's what I've been working for in continuing to get better as a coach and leader," Juarez said. "I want to thank Mr. Hansen for the opportunity and trust that he has placed in me and the fans for their support. I can't wait for the season to start in 2020."
A native of Las Cruces, New Mexico, Juarez played 10 seasons in the USL for the El Paso Patriots and Minnesota Thunder before retiring in 2007. Throughout his playing career, he coached at the youth levels and continued in that capacity upon his retirement.
Real Salt Lake has led Major League Soccer in minutes played by Academy products in each of the last two seasons and reached the Western Conference Semifinals in both seasons. With Real Monarchs reaching the USL Championship Final in 2019 and the USL Regular Season Shield in 2017, RSL's youth development structure has shown an ability to develop young players coming through the RSL Academy as well as those joining from other organizations.
RSL has reached the postseason 10 times in the last 12 seasons, winning MLS Cup in 2009 and advancing to the MLS Cup Final in 2013. Originally established in 2004, Real Salt Lake opened its inaugural season in 2005 at Rice-Eccles Stadium on the University of Utah campus before moving to Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah, late in the 2008 season, where the club has established the best home record in MLS.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 3, 2019
- Toronto FC Selects Juan Agudelo in MLS Re-Entry Draft - Toronto FC
- MLS Fines Jozy Altidore, Marc Dos Santos and Matias Almeyda for Public Criticism - MLS
- FC Cincinnati and Toronto FC Acquire Players in Re-Entry Process, Stage 2 - MLS
- FC Cincinnati Select Defender Saad Abdul-Salaam in Stage 2 of 2019 MLS Re-Entry Process - FC Cincinnati
- 2020 NWSL Draft to Take Place in Baltimore, MD on January 16 - MLS
- Real Salt Lake Names Elliot Fall General Manager - Real Salt Lake
- Real Salt Lake Names Freddy Juarez Head Coach - Real Salt Lake
- Sounders FC to Hold 2019 Alliance Annual Business Meeting Tonight - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Eligible Player List Announced for Stage 2 of the Re-Entry Process on Tuesday - MLS
- FC Dallas Trades Dominique Badji to Nashville SC - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- RSL Bow out of Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs with 2-0 Loss at Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Travels to Portland Saturday, Facing Timbers in Western Conference Final
- RSL Watch Parties for Saturday's Western Conference Final
- Real Salt Lake Advance to Western Conference Final with 2-1 Win at Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Faces Sporting Kansas City in Western Conference Semifinal