FC Cincinnati Select Defender Saad Abdul-Salaam in Stage 2 of 2019 MLS Re-Entry Process
CINCINNATI - FC Cincinnati selected former Seattle Sounders FC defender Saad Abdul-Salaam (pronounced sahd ab-DOOL sa-LAHM) in Stage 2 of the 2019 MLS Re-Entry Process on Tuesday afternoon. Abdul-Salaam was one of two players selected during Stage 2. With the selection, FC Cincinnati now possess the defender's MLS rights and can now initiate contract negotiations.
In five MLS seasons, Abdul-Salaam has made 86 appearances, including 60 starts, while scoring one goal and adding 11 assists with Seattle Sounders FC, New York City FC and Sporting Kansas City dating back to 2015. Last season, the defender made 18 appearances and played 1,062 minutes for the 2019 MLS Cup Champions.
For all players selected during Stage 2 of the Re-Entry Process, the drafting club is required to make a genuine offer to the player within seven days. If an agreement cannot be reached between the club and player, the club will hold the Right of First Refusal for that player in MLS.
The selection order for the Re-Entry Process was determined by the reverse order of the final standings in the 2019 MLS season, taking into account postseason performance. FC Cincinnati earned the first pick, while MLS Cup Champions Seattle Sounders FC earned the 24th pick. Expansion side Nashville SC had the 25th pick, while Inter Miami CF had the final selection in each round.
FC Cincinnati will return to the field in early 2020 for their second MLS season. Season Ticket Memberships for the 2020 season are now on sale to the general public at //fccincinnati.com/tickets or by calling 513-977-5425 (KICK). A 2020 Season Ticket Membership also secures fans' place on the club's priority list, which will be utilized when sales begin in the new West End Stadium for the 2021 season.
For up-to-the-minute information about FC Cincinnati, visit the team's official website at fccincinnati.com, or follow the team on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook at @FCCincinnati.
Transaction: FC Cincinnati select defender Saad Abdul-Salaam with the first overall selection in Stage 2 of the 2019 MLS Re-Entry Process on Dec. 3, 2019.
Pronunciation: sahd ab-DOOL sa-LAHM
Birthdate: September 8, 1991
Birthplace: Charlotte, N.C.
Hometown: Gahanna, Ohio
Last Club: Seattle Sounders FC (MLS)
Nationality: United States
MLS Roster Status: Domestic
How Acquired: Selected first overall in Stage 2 of the 2019 MLS Re-Entry Process on Dec. 3, 2019.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 3, 2019
- Toronto FC Selects Juan Agudelo in MLS Re-Entry Draft - Toronto FC
- MLS Fines Jozy Altidore, Marc Dos Santos and Matias Almeyda for Public Criticism - MLS
- FC Cincinnati and Toronto FC Acquire Players in Re-Entry Process, Stage 2 - MLS
- FC Cincinnati Select Defender Saad Abdul-Salaam in Stage 2 of 2019 MLS Re-Entry Process - FC Cincinnati
- 2020 NWSL Draft to Take Place in Baltimore, MD on January 16 - MLS
- Real Salt Lake Names Elliot Fall General Manager - Real Salt Lake
- Real Salt Lake Names Freddy Juarez Head Coach - Real Salt Lake
- Sounders FC to Hold 2019 Alliance Annual Business Meeting Tonight - Seattle Sounders FC
- MLS Eligible Player List Announced for Stage 2 of the Re-Entry Process on Tuesday - MLS
- FC Dallas Trades Dominique Badji to Nashville SC - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Cincinnati Stories
- FC Cincinnati Sign Midfielder Haris Medunjanin
- The FC Cincinnati Foundation Generates $1 Million Impact in First Year
- FC Cincinnati Select Defender Saad Abdul-Salaam in Stage 2 of 2019 MLS Re-Entry Process
- FC Cincinnati Expand Ownership Group, Add California's Meg Whitman and Dr. Griff Harsh
- FC Cincinnati Select Midfielder Haris Medunjanin in 2019 MLS End-Of-Year Waivers Draft