Real Salt Lake Drowns Rapids in Tournament Opener
KISSIMMEE, Florida - Real Salt Lake claimed a dominant 2-0 victory over Rocky Mountain rival Colorado Rapids on Sunday night in their return to play for the 2020 MLS is Back Tournament at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Florida.
Midfielder Albert RusnÃ¡k's first-half strike and eventual game-winner was supplemented by midfielder Damir Kreilach's goal in the second half to usher RSL to the win. Goalkeeper Zac MacMath made four second-half saves to earn his second shutout for the club in the win.
Forward Corey Baird nearly staked RSL to the early lead when he worked into the box up the left side, but his curling shot caromed off the crossbar and the match remained scoreless. That set the tone for Salt Lake, outshooting Colorado 5-3 in the first half with two shots on goal while holding the Rapids at bay with none. RSL broke through to take the lead in the 27th minute when a redirected cross fell right into the path of RusnÃ k's late run into the box and he put it away to send RSL into halftime with a 1-0 lead.
As Colorado pressed for the equalizer in the second half, forward Douglas Martinez drew a penalty kick that was eventually saved by Rapids goalkeeper Clint Irwin. RSL would find the separating goal however in the 76th minute when Kreilach rifled a low shot from outside the box to solidify the victory.
UP NEXT: RSL will face Minnesota United on July 17 at 8:30 p.m. MT from the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
RSL: Albert RusnÃ k, 27th minute - Douglas Martinez played a cross into the box from the right side intended for Damir Kreilach. Colorado goalkeeper Clint Irwin beat Kreilach to the ball, but redirected it straight to Albert RusnÃ k, who collected and fired a shot that ricocheted off a defender and in for the 1-0 lead.
RSL: Damir Kreilach (Corey Baird), 76th minute: Fielding a ball in the attacking third, Kreilach turned to take a touch toward goal before firing a low shot into the bottom corner of the net for the 2-0 lead.
RSL claimed its first win of the 2020 season and moved atop the Group D standings.
Kreilach scored his second goal in as many matches after scoring the equalizer in a 1-1 draw with the New York Red Bulls on March 7.
RSL utilized all five substitutes in the match - taking advantage of a new rule in place to start the tournament.
Match: Real Salt Lake vs. Colorado Rapids
Date: July 12, 2020
Venue: ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex; Kissimmee, Florida
Weather: Clear and 81 degrees
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
Real Salt Lake 1 1 2
Colorado 0 0 0
RSL: Albert RusnÃ k 27'
RSL: Damir Kreilach (Corey Baird) 76'
Real Salt Lake (4-2-3-1): Zac MacMath; Aaron Herrera, Marcelo Silva, Justen Glad (Erik Holt 85'), Donny Toia; Everton Luiz, Kyle Beckerman (Nick Besler 67'); Albert RusnÃ k (Justin Meram 78'), Damir Kreilach (Sam Johnson 86'), Corey Baird; Douglas Martinez (Giuseppe Rossi 78')
Subs not used: Andrew Putna, Alvin Jones, Justin Portillo, Pablo Ruiz, Maikel Chang, Tate Schmitt, Milan Iloski
Colorado Rapids (4-2-3-1): Clint Irwin; Jeremy Kelly (Diego Rubio 74'), Lalas Aboubakar, Drew Moor, Sam Vines; Jack Price, Kellyn Acosta; Andre Shinyashiki (Jonathan Lewis 74'), Younes Namli, Nicolas Benezet (Nicolas Mezquida 83'); Kei Kamara.
Subs not used: Danny Wilson, Collen Warner, William Yarbrough, Deklan Wynne, Auston Trusty, Keegan Rosenberry, Andre Rawls, Braian Galvan, Cole Bassett.
Stats Summary: RSL / COL
Shots: 10 / 11
Shots on Goal: 6 / 4
Saves: 4 / 4
Corner Kicks: 5 / 4
Fouls: 14 / 8
Offside: 0 / 1
RSL: Aaron Herrera (caution) 37'
COL: Kei Kamara (caution) 39'
RSL: Everton Luiz (caution) 62'
COL: Jack Price (caution) 69'
COL: Clint Irwin (caution) 70'
RSL: Justen Glad (caution) 82'
Referee: Jair Marrufo
Assistant Referees: Corey Rockwell, Nick Uranga
4th Official: Alex Chilowicz
VAR: Robert Sibiga
AVAR: Jose da Silva
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 13, 2020
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: July 13, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Toronto FC Player Update - Toronto FC
- D.C. United Player Tests Negative for COVID-19 - D.C. United
- Matchday Guide: Inter Miami CF vs. Philadelphia Union - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Returns to Texas - FC Dallas
- Toronto FC (2) - D.C. United (2) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- D.C. United Draw with Toronto in First Match of MLS Is Back Tournament - D.C. United
- Match Preview: Inter Miami CF to Face Philadelphia Union in Second MLS Is Back Tournament Match - Inter Miami CF
- By the Numbers: Game Two in Group A - Orlando City SC
- Reliving the Running of the Wall, Lions Face NYCFC on Tuesday - Orlando City SC
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: July 13, 2020 - FC Cincinnati
- Teal Bunbury Re-Signs with New England Revolution - New England Revolution
- City Takes on NYCFC in Second Match of MLS Is Back Tournament - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City Takes on NYCFC in Second Match of MLS Is Back Tournament - Orlando City SC
- Real Salt Lake Drowns Rapids in Tournament Opener - Real Salt Lake
- Colorado Rapids Drop to Real Salt Lake - Colorado Rapids
- MNUFC Come from Behind in Victory over SKC - Minnesota United FC
- Sporting Suffers Late Loss to Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Welcomes Vancouver Whitecaps FC to Sandy on Saturday
- Real Salt Lake Inks Damir Kreilach to Multi-Year Extension
- Real Salt Lake Drops 5-0 Home Loss to Colorado Rapids
- Real Salt Lake Welcomes Colorado Rapids in Second Leg of 2020 Rocky Mountain Cup
- Real Salt Lake Announces Remaining September Schedule