Real Salt Lake Draws 1-1 with New York Red Bulls
SANDY, Utah - Real Salt Lake (0-0-2, 2 points) secured a hard-fought 1-1 draw with the New York Red Bulls on Saturday afternoon at Rio Tinto Stadium after a dominant attacking display from the home side.
Midfielder Damir Kreilach notched the equalizing goal in the 91st minute of play to secure the draw in front of 18,093 fans at Rio Tinto Stadium.
The Red Bulls went ahead in the 13th minute when Cristian Casseres Jr. fired a low shot that found the back of the net from 25-yards to put the visitors ahead. Through the remainder of the half, RSL controlled the match and pressed for the equalizer and came within inches but wasn't able to find the equalizer before the halftime break.
RSL opened the second half immediately on the front foot, holding the majority of the possession as it continued its search for the equalizer. Second-half substitute Douglas Martinez thought he had evened it up but his goal was waved off after Video Review. The home side didn't falter and Aaron Herrera's stoppage-time cross found the head of Kreilach to secure the point for RSL.
UP NEXT: Real Salt Lake will travel to Ohio to face Columbus Crew SC on Saturday, March 14. Kickoff from MAPFRE Stadium is set for 3:00p MT.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
RBNY: Cristian Casseres Jr., 13th minute: Against the run of play in the midfield, Casseres picked up the loose ball at the top of the box. Seeing space for a shot 25 yards from goal, Casseres fired a low shot that snuck just inside the near post for the 1-0 lead.
RSL: Damir Kreilach (Aaron Herrera), 90+1st minute: Finding space to cross on the right side of the field, Herrera curled in a ball to the back post where Kreilach was unmarked. Kreilach powered a header past the goalkeeper and inside the near post for the game-tying goal.
- Real Salt Lake is now 7-6-10 all-time against the Red Bulls, including a 6-0-6 home record in the series. At Rio Tinto Stadium, RSL is 6-0-3 in regular season matches against New York. RSL moves to 6-1-9 in home openers all-time and now owns a 5-1-6 home opening record at Rio Tinto Stadium.
- Everton Luiz made his 2020 debut in the draw against the Red Bulls after serving his one-match suspension one week prior during RSL's scoreless draw at Orlando.
- Jeizon RamÃrez made his RSL debut subbing on for Justin Meram in the 88th minute.
- RSL outshot Red Bulls 21-4 in the match, placing six shots on target.
Match: Real Salt Lake vs. New York Red Bulls
Date: March 7, 2020
Venue: Rio Tinto Stadium; Sandy, Utah
Weather: Cloudy and 60 degrees
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
Real Salt Lake 0 1 1
New York Red Bulls 1 0 1
Real Salt Lake (4-2-3-1): Zac MacMath; Aaron Herrera, Marcelo Silva, Nedum Onuoha, Donny Toia; Everton Luiz, Nick Besler (Douglas Martinez 59'); Corey Baird, Albert RusnÃ¡k, Justin Meram (Jeizon Ramirez 88'), Damir Kreilach.
Subs not used: Andrew Putna, Justen Glad, Pablo Ruiz, Justin Portillo, Maikel Chang
New York Red Bulls (4-3-3): David Jensen; Kyle Duncan, Tim Parker, Amro Tarek, Patrick Seagrist; Florian Valot (Josh Sims 68'), Sean Davis, Cristian Casseres Jr., Kaku (Marc Rzatkowski 77'); Brian White (Tom Barlow 65'), Daniel Royer.
Subs not used: Kendall McIntosh, Sean Nealis, Mathias Jorgensen, John Tolkin
Stats Summary: RSL / NYRB
Shots: 21 / 4
Shots on Goal: 6 / 2
Saves: 1 / 2
Corner Kicks: 6 / 0
Fouls: 17 / 14
Offside: 2 / 2
NYRB - Patrick Seagrist (caution) 35'
RSL - Marcelo Silva (caution) 54'
NYRB - Kyle Duncan (caution) 73'
RSL - Douglas Martinez (caution) 80'
Referee: Rosendo Mendoza
Assistant Referees: Nick Uranga, Peter Manikowski
4th Official: Nima Saghafi
VAR: Younes Marrakchi
AVAR: Jonathan Johnson
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 7, 2020
- Cowell Debuts in Quakes Loss - San Jose Earthquakes
- MNUFC Dominate in 5-2 Win in San Jose - Minnesota United FC
- Orlando City Falls 2-1 at Colorado - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Defeats FC Cincinnati 2-1 in 2020 Home Opener - Atlanta United FC
- Loudoun United FC Draw 0-0 against Philadelphia Union II - D.C. United
- Dynamo Drop First Road Test of Season at Sporting KC - Houston Dynamo
- Kubo scores first MLS goal as Orange and Blue come up short against Atlanta - FC Cincinnati
- Inter Miami CF Scores First Goal in Club History, Loses 2-1 to D.C. United - Inter Miami CF
- Notes & Quotes: Toronto FC 1 - 0 New York City FC - New York City FC
- Toronto FC (1) - New York City FC (0) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- D.C. United Win 2-1 against Inter Miami CF at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Colorado Rapids vs Orlando City SC: Roster Notes: March 7, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- Houston Dynamo Loan Three Players to RGV FC for Opening Day - Houston Dynamo
- FC Dallas Overcomes 2-0 Deficit to Earn a Draw against Montreal Impact - FC Dallas
- Impact Earns Point at Dallas - Club de Foot Montreal
- Real Salt Lake Draws 1-1 with New York Red Bulls - Real Salt Lake
- Revolution and Chicago Fire FC Play to 1-1 Draw - New England Revolution
- Red Bulls Get Road Draw - New York Red Bulls
- Nashville SC Playing for a Healing City on Sunday against Portland Timbers - Nashville SC
- Chicago Fire FC Battle New England Revolution to a 1-1 Draw at Gillette Stadium - Chicago Fire
- Where to Watch: Watch Party Information for Nashville SC at Portland - Nashville SC
- New England Revolution Announce All-Time Team - New England Revolution
- LAFC Takes on Philadelphia Union on Sunday Night at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Matchday Essentials: Nashville SC Set to Take on Portland Timbers in Nationally Televised Match - Nashville SC
- Nashville SC and Portland Timbers to Sport 'Never Give up on You' Patch - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face Seattle Sounders FC Tonight - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Parts Ways with Assistant Coach Matt Glaeser
- Real Salt Lake Basketball Academy Welcomes Top Recruit Dravyn Gibbs-Lawhorn
- Real Salt Lake Names Ignacio "Nacho" Hernandez Goalkeeper Coach
- Real Salt Lake Signs RSL Academy Goalkeeper Jeff Dewsnup
- Real Salt Lake Trades Corey Baird to LAFC