Reading's Sean Wiles Named Sher-Wood Hockey ECHL Player of the Wek
Reading, PA - The Reading Royals of the ECHL, affiliate of the Washington Capitals of the National Hockey League and the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League, today announced that forward Sean Wiles has been named the Sher-Wood Hockey ECHL Player of the Week for January 6 through January 12, 2014. In four games played, Wiles racked up eight points (4g-4a) and played to a plus-8 (+8). He is the fifteenth different player in Royals' history to win the league's weekly award.
Wiles, a third year pro from Beloit, Wisconsin, kicked off the week by recording the Royals' first hattrick (3g-1a) of the season in a 6-2 win over the Wheeling Nailers last Wednesday. His second goal that night proved to be his second game winner of the year for Reading. In that game he played to a plus-5 (+5), which tied the best plus-minus performance in the league this season. Although Wiles was held off the board in Friday's 4-1 win in Elmira, he picked up a pair of assist in Saturday's 4-2 win over the Jackals and finished the week with his seventh multi-point game of the year (1g-1a), which included a five-on-three power play goal with just 1.3 seconds left in the second period to give Reading a two-goal advantage in what would prove to be a 3-0 win.
Wiles has seventeen points (5g-12a) in eight games since returning to Reading from the Bridgeport Sound Tigers of the AHL on December 28. Wiles, who has had at least one point in 10 of his last twelve games with the Royals, has recorded seven multi-point games in that span. In seventeen total games with Reading, Wiles is tied for second in scoring on the team with twenty-one points (8g-13az) and is playing to a team-leading plus-10 (+10).
Wiles is the first Royal to win the weekly award since Yannick Riendeau received the honor in late March of 2012 (03/19 -03/25/12). He joins Chris Blight, Brendan Brooks, Ryan Cruthers, Stefano Giliati (twice), Ben Gordon (twice), Greg Hogeboom, Ryan Kinasewich, Olivier Labelle, Brian McCullough, Mike Pandolfo, Yannick Riendeau, Andrew Sarauer, Daniel Steiner, and Shay Stephenson as members of the Royals who have won the ECHL's Player of the Week Award in the thirteen year history of the team.
On behalf of Sean Wiles, a case of pucks will be donated to a Reading youth hockey organization by Sher-Wood"ÂHockey, the exclusive puck supplier of the ECHL. Since beginning its sponsorship of the award in 2000-01, Sher-Wood Hockey has donated more than 29,000 pucks to youth hockey organizations in ECHL cities.
The Royals return to action on Friday (January 17 @ 7:05 pm) when the Toledo Walleye visit Santander Arena in Reading, Pennsylvania. The Royals will induct Chris Bala into the Reading Eagle Wall of Honor that night, and the first 3000 fans will receive a commemorative poster of Chris courtesy of the Reading Eagle. Friday's game is also Mama Lucia Royal Feast Friday, which features an all-you-can-eat buffet. More information on the ticket and meal deal is available at 610-898-7825. The game night broadcast on CBS Sports Radio 1240 am and 98.5 will kick off with the Highmark Blue Shield Warm-Up Show at 4:35 pm on the Royals Broadcast Network.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 14, 2014
- Sakaris Lifts IceMen over Gladiators - Atlanta Gladiators
- Multi-Point Games from Price and Gongalsky Not Enough to Move Past Road Warriors - South Carolina Stingrays
- Reign Host Tip-A-Player Event at Dave & Buster's - Ontario Reign
- Condors vs. Stockton - $1 Tickets for High School/College Students - Bakersfield Condors
- Klassen Returns to Greenville; Jean Reassigned - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Transactions - January 14 - ECHL
- Wheeling, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Swap Blueliners - Wheeling Nailers
- Bulls Get AHL Experienced Forward Ryan Garlock from Bakersfield - San Francisco Bulls
- Reign's 2013-14 Fantasy Team Jersey Date Changed - Ontario Reign
- Blades Acquire Devos in Forward Swap with Elmira - Florida Everblades
- Elmira Jackals Trade Devos to Florida for Henrion - Elmira Jackals
- Stingrays Receive Forward Jack Downing from Providence; Acquire Goaltender Allen York from Evansvill - South Carolina Stingrays
- Weekly Weather Report: the Weekly News and Notes of the Stockton Thunder - Stockton Thunder
- Road Warriors to Celebrate Greenville on Friday Night - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report - Wheeling Nailers
- $2 Beer, Mr. Belding and ZOOperstars Highlight K-Wings Week - Kalamazoo Wings
- Roster Shakes for the Walleye - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Thunder Face Resurgent Condors - Stockton Thunder
- Former Gladiators Forward Elected to Baseball Hall of Fame - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Brandon Anderson Selected CCM ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Reading Royals
- Reading's Anderson Named CCM ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Elmira Jackals Weekly - Elmira Jackals
- Reading's Sean Wiles Named Sher-Wood Hockey ECHL Player of the Wek - Reading Royals
- Reading's Wiles Named Sher-Wood Hockey ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Stingrays Game Preview: 2x2 Tuesday Tonight vs. Road Warriors - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - January 14 - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.