Rascals Capitalize Late to Take Game 1
LOVES PARK - The Aviators fell to the River City Rascals 5-2 Friday night at Aviators Stadium, dropping the team into a two-way tie with the Rascals for 2nd place in the West. The Aviators got a solid start from Roberto Padilla, who kept the Rascals, the league's top-scoring offense, to just 2 runs over 6 innings to keep the Aviators in the contest.
The Rascals took an early lead by scoring once in the 2nd and once in the 3rd, but the Aviators made it a 2-1 ballgame in the bottom of the 3rd when Michael Hur golfed a sac fly to right that scored Anthony Renteria.
That score held until the 8th when Danny Stienstra knocked in Cameron Garfield with an RBI single to make it a 2-2 contest.
The Rascals were able to respond quickly though, capitalizing for three in the ninth against Colby Holmes to take the win and move into a tie for 2nd with the Aviators.
Paul Lujan made his pro debut on the mound for the Aviators, pitching in the 7th and 8th and facing the minimum in an excellent performance.
The two sides meet again tomorrow starting at 7:05 at Aviators Stadium. David Diaz is expected to go for the Aviators.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from August 14, 2015
- Otters Late Rally Falls Short in Defeat to Defending Champions - Evansville Otters
- Lake Erie Crushers Suspended Due to Rain - Lake Erie Crushers
- Rascals Capitalize Late to Take Game 1 - Rockford Aviators
- Boomers Hold off Otters - Schaumburg Boomers
- CornBelters Pound Wild Things for 8th Straight Win - Normal CornBelters
- Wild Things Drop Series Opener 13-2 to CornBelters - Washington Wild Things
- Grizzlies Struggle on Mound and at Plate in Loss to Freedom - Gateway Grizzlies
- Freedom Fly Past Gateway - Florence Y'alls
- Slammers Lose on the Road to Traverse City 6-2 - Joliet Slammers
- August 14 Florence Freedom Game Notes - Florence Y'alls
- Southern Illinois Rallies Late, Walks off Again over Lake Erie - Southern Illinois Miners
- Crushers drop back and forth battle with Miners - Lake Erie Crushers
- Grizzlies' Comeback Falls Short in Loss to Slammers - Gateway Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.