Rapids to Host Inaugural Rocky Mountain College Cup
Commerce City, Colo. (Thursday, June 17, 2010) - The Colorado Rapids, in conjunction with the University of Colorado and Colorado State University, announced details on the Inaugural Rocky Mountain College Cup, which will be an effort by the Rapids to organize an event to determine soccer bragging rights between two of the state's biggest colleges.
The Rocky Mountain College Cup will feature both the school's men's and women's club soccer programs squaring off against one another in one doubleheader event.
The Inaugural Rocky Mountain College Cup will take place on Saturday, September 11 at Dick's Sporting Goods Park, with the women's game starting at 5:00 p.m. followed by the men's match at 7:30 p.m.
The total aggregate goals scored by the both the women's and men's teams from each school will go towards crowning the Rocky Mountain College Cup champion for 2010.
The winning university will receive special recognition at the Rapids' home game on September 18.
"On behalf of the University of Colorado, we are extremely excited to have the opportunity to work with the Colorado Rapids in promoting the CU vs. CSU men's and women's soccer games at Dick's Sporting Goods Park," said CU's Director of Club Sports Kristopher Schoech. "The University of Colorado and Colorado State University have a great history of being not only the best collegiate club soccer teams in the State of Colorado, but also the best in the country. This should truly be a great sporting event."
"The Colorado State University Sport Clubs Office is excited to showcase our outstanding soccer clubs in such a great venue like Dick's Sporting Goods Park," added Aaron Harris, Assistant Director of Sports Club at CSU. "The Rocky Mountain College Cup will help enhance the status of the soccer clubs on the CSU campus."
Tickets for the Inaugural Rocky Mountain College Cup are $20 and include both collegiate games that day, as well as a ticket to the Rapids' home match on September 18, with a portion of tickets sales going to raise money for each individual school's club soccer program. To purchase seats or for additional details on the event, contact Roy Tewell with the Colorado Rapids at (303) 727-3527 or email@example.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 17, 2010
- Real Salt Lake to Host USA V. Slovenia Viewing Party Friday Morning at Green Street - Real Salt Lake
- Real Salt Lake Match Preview: International Club Friendly Saturday, June 19 V. Puntarenas F.C. - Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA to Host U.S. Open Cup Third Round Game at Titan Stadium in Fullerton - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic to Present D.C. United - D.C. United
- Rapids to Host Inaugural Rocky Mountain College Cup - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire to Host Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Match at Toyota Park - Chicago Fire FC
- Sounders FC Youth Camps See Huge Increase in Registration - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Forward Brian McBride to Visit Children's Memorial Hospital - Chicago Fire FC
- D.C. United to Host U.S. Open Cup Third Round Match - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Rapids' Partnership with Colorado Fourteeners Initiative Focused on Supporting Mountain Ecosystems
- Three Takeaways from the Rapids Season Opener
- Open Cup Committee Determines 2021 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Will Not be Held this Spring
- Rapids Kick off 2021 Season at FC Dallas on Saturday
- Denver to Host First-Ever Concacaf Nations League Finals in June 2021