Chivas USA to Host U.S. Open Cup Third Round Game at Titan Stadium in Fullerton
CARSON, Calif. (Thursday, June 17, 2010) - Chivas USA will play its third round U.S. Open Cup match at Titan Stadium on the campus of Cal State Fullerton, at 7:30 p.m. PT on Tuesday, June 29. The Red-and-White will host the winner of the second round match between the Austin Aztex and the Arizona Sahuaros, which will be determined on June 22.
Tickets for the June 29 match at Titan Stadium start at $10 for General Admission. Discounted Tickets are also available for Chivas USA season ticket holders, special group packages and fundraising opportunities. For more information or to purchase tickets, please call 1-877-CHIVAS-1 or visit cdchivasusa.com/usopencup
"We look forward to participating this year in the U.S. Open Cup," said Vice President of Soccer Operations Stephen Hamilton. "This is one of three tournaments in which our club will be participating this season and we look forward to the challenge of winning this historic competition."
The third round features the participation of eight MLS teams, which will face off against the eight second round winners on June 29 or 30. The Austin Aztex (D2) will host the Arizona Sahuaros (USASA) on June 22 and the winner of that match will play Chivas USA at Fullerton. The quarterfinals will be played July 6-7, the semifinals will be played Aug. 31-Sept. 1, and the final will be played on Oct. 5.
The Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, which is recognized as U.S. Soccer's National Championship, is an annual competition open to all amateur and professional soccer teams affiliated with U.S. Soccer. The tournament has crowned a champion for 95 consecutive years dating back to 1914. It is the oldest annual team tournament in U.S. sports history and among the oldest soccer tournaments of its type in the world. In 1999, the competition was renamed to honor long-time soccer pioneer Lamar Hunt. More information on the tournament can be found at usopencup.com .
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 17, 2010
- Real Salt Lake to Host USA V. Slovenia Viewing Party Friday Morning at Green Street - Real Salt Lake
- Real Salt Lake Match Preview: International Club Friendly Saturday, June 19 V. Puntarenas F.C. - Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA to Host U.S. Open Cup Third Round Game at Titan Stadium in Fullerton - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic to Present D.C. United - D.C. United
- Rapids to Host Inaugural Rocky Mountain College Cup - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire to Host Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Match at Toyota Park - Chicago Fire FC
- Sounders FC Youth Camps See Huge Increase in Registration - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Forward Brian McBride to Visit Children's Memorial Hospital - Chicago Fire FC
- D.C. United to Host U.S. Open Cup Third Round Match - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Club Deportivo Chivas USA Stories
- Chivas USA Shutout SJ Earthquakes 1-0 in Season Finale
- Chivas USA Fall in Road Finale, 2-0, at Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA's Season Finale Kickoff Time Rescheduled
- Chivas USA Knock off Colorado Rapids, 2-1, in Series Finale
- Chivas USA Youth Academy Trio Called up to U.S. U-14 BNT Training Camp