Rangers Recall Neal Pionk from Hartford
NEW YORK, February 8, 2018 - New York Rangers General Manager Jeff Gorton announced today that the team has recalled defenseman Neal Pionk from the Hartford Wolf Pack of the American Hockey League (AHL).
Pionk, 22, has skated in 48 games with the Wolf Pack this season, registering one goal and 16 assists for 17 points, along with 20 penalty minutes. He ranks fifth among AHL rookie defensemen in assists and ranks ninth among AHL rookie defensemen in points thus far in 2017-18. In addition, Pionk ranks second among Wolf Pack defensemen in assists and points this season. He has recorded eight assists/points in his last 12 AHL games. Pionk made his AHL debut on Oct. 6 vs. Charlotte, and he tallied his first career AHL assist/point while skating in his second career AHL game on Oct. 8 vs. Lehigh Valley.
The 6-0, 190-pounder played two seasons of collegiate hockey with the University of Minnesota Duluth (2015-16 and 2016-17) prior to beginning his professional career. Pionk skated in 82 career collegiate games, registering 11 goals and 40 assists for 51 points, along with a plus-35 rating and 69 penalty minutes. He helped the University of Minnesota Duluth win the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) Championship and advance to the Frozen Four and National Championship Game in 2016-17, as he recorded 34 points (seven goals, 27 assists) and a plus-24 rating in 42 games. Pionk tied for fourth among NCAA defensemen in assists, ranked fifth among NCAA defensemen in points, and ranked sixth among NCAA defensemen in plus/minus rating in 2016-17, as he was selected to the NCHC Second All-Star Team, the NCHC All-Tournament Team, and the NCAA Frozen Four All-Tournament Team.
The Hermantown, Minnesota, native was signed by the Rangers as an undrafted free agent on May 1, 2017.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 8, 2018
- Free IceHogs Grill Tongs this Friday - Rockford IceHogs
- Tomkins Loaned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- Sound Tigers Recall Gaudreau from Worcester - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Tansey Assigned to Walleye - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Assign Pair to Cincinnati - Rochester Americans
- Moose Sign Jake Hildebrand - Manitoba Moose
- Wolf Pack Sign Defenseman Desmond Bergin to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Jets Recall Comrie from the Moose; Place Hendricks and Tanev on Injured Reserve - Manitoba Moose
- Syracuse Crunch Loan Shane Conacher to Adirondack Thunder - Syracuse Crunch
- Minnesota Wild Acquires Defenseman Viktor Loov from New Jersey - Iowa Wild
- F Steven Swavely, F Alex Krushelnyski Recalled by Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Iowa Wild Recalls Forwards Pavel Jenys and Chase Lang from Rapid City - Iowa Wild
- Canucks Recall Forward Reid Boucher - Utica Comets
- Rangers Recall Neal Pionk from Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Amerks Announce Partnership with Lyft, Blue Cross Arena to Bring Ridesharing to Downtown Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Adam Erne from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Highmore Strikes Twice as Hogs Stretch Home Point Streak - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.