Highmore Strikes Twice as Hogs Stretch Home Point Streak
ROCKFORD, Ill. - Matthew Highmore tallied his second goal of the game 22 seconds into the third period to snap a 1-1 tie and propel the Rockford IceHogs to a 3-1 victory over the San Antonio Rampage at the BMO Harris Bank Center Wednesday night. Rockford's win stretches its home point streak to six games (4-0-1-1).
Highmore notched his game-winner after he received a pass in the corner and skated out to the front of the net before lofting a backhanded shot over San Antonio netminder Spencer Martin. With his 19th and 20th goals tonight, Highmore is the first IceHogs rookie to break the 20-goal barrier since Tanner Kero in 2015-16.
The IceHogs also opened the scoring in the first stanza with Highmore's first of the game and 19th of the season. The forward deflected a Viktor Svedberg blast from the point past Martin for an early Rockford lead.
Felix Girard leveled the score for San Antonio midway through the second period, and the teams battled through scoreless hockey for the remaining 12 minutes of the middle frame.
Following Highmore's go-ahead marker in the third period, Adam Clendening then doubled Rockford's lead with a blast from the blue line. Clendening now has 11 points through 11 games in an IceHogs sweater this season.
Rockford's Collin Delia stopped 33 of 34 shots for his seventh career AHL win, while Martin turned aside 25 of 28 at the other end.
Next Home Game: Friday, Feb. 9 | Rockford vs Milwaukee Admirals (7 p.m.)
The IceHogs take on their Central Division-rival Milwaukee Admirals on Friday, February 9. Puck drop is at 7 p.m., and the first 1,000 fans aged 21+ in attendance will receive a free pair of IceHogs grill tongs, courtesy of Bud Light. Tickets can be purchased at IceHogs.com, by calling (815) 968-5222 or in-person at the BMO Harris Bank Center Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 8, 2018
- Free IceHogs Grill Tongs this Friday - Rockford IceHogs
- Tomkins Loaned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- Sound Tigers Recall Gaudreau from Worcester - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Tansey Assigned to Walleye - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Assign Pair to Cincinnati - Rochester Americans
- Moose Sign Jake Hildebrand - Manitoba Moose
- Wolf Pack Sign Defenseman Desmond Bergin to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Jets Recall Comrie from the Moose; Place Hendricks and Tanev on Injured Reserve - Manitoba Moose
- Syracuse Crunch Loan Shane Conacher to Adirondack Thunder - Syracuse Crunch
- Minnesota Wild Acquires Defenseman Viktor Loov from New Jersey - Iowa Wild
- F Steven Swavely, F Alex Krushelnyski Recalled by Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Iowa Wild Recalls Forwards Pavel Jenys and Chase Lang from Rapid City - Iowa Wild
- Canucks Recall Forward Reid Boucher - Utica Comets
- Rangers Recall Neal Pionk from Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Amerks Announce Partnership with Lyft, Blue Cross Arena to Bring Ridesharing to Downtown Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Adam Erne from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Highmore Strikes Twice as Hogs Stretch Home Point Streak - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- Stars Outlast Hogs in Overtime Affair, Take 2-0 Series Lead
- McKenna, Stars Outshine Hogs for Game 1 Win
- Cornelison, Rally Towels Highlight Conference Finals Promotions
- Goaltending, Special Teams Highlight Hogs-Stars Showdown
- Hogs Announce Game 1 Playoff Party for Conference Finals at Owly Oop